Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I re-upholstered my seats--with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011 | 06:35 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Default I re-upholstered my seats--with pics

Finished it two weekends ago. I haven't put them back in yet but here's the finished product. It looks a lot better in person. If anybody is wondering if got them off of ebay from a store called autointeriorkits. It wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be. The original ones were disgusting. The drivers seat had a sheepskin cover on it. When I pulled that off most of the seat was covered in duct tape.

As soon as the snow goes away and there's a warmer day I'll go freakin drive 'em.
Attached Images    
Old 02-09-2011 | 06:41 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Very clean, nice job! I bet it's a nice feeling to hop in nice clean seats that look like that! Like sitting in a new car! Grats and nice work!
Old 02-09-2011 | 06:48 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Nice job.
Old 02-09-2011 | 06:50 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I messed up the passenger seat a little bit on the side but I think after I sit in them a few times and they are out in the sun and shrink a little they will look a lot better.
Old 02-09-2011 | 07:06 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Also maybe the foam with relax a bit as well.
Old 02-09-2011 | 07:14 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Nice work,one thing though ,i don't know about the early seats but on the late seats the longitudinal seams of the cover are pulled down through the foam with metal clips and anchored to the bottom of the seat to give it that nice stretched shape ,yours look like you just pulled the over the foam and left them like that. I used zip ties to pull mine in place,works even better than the original clips.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2011 | 07:34 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Good point. Did you use the hog ring pliers or Zip ties to pull that area to the seat frame? When I did my seats, I had to press down from on top then use the hog rings to catch the bead that was built into the seat in that area.
Catalin, I have not idea how in the world you pulled that off with just zip ties. Great Job if you did.
Old 02-09-2011 | 08:08 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Catalin, I have not idea how in the world you pulled that off with just zip ties. Great Job if you did.
It was hard but not that hard, i imagine that with the hog rings it's a lot worse but i haven't tried it.
What made it a bit easier i think is the fact that i used the original covers, i just took them off washed and redyed them black (script seats ) . If i find the pictures i'll post them. I only did the bottom ,i still have to finish the back ,it's going to be a nightmare to do ,the center was glued in place ,i have to find another way to attach it to the foam,maybe i will sew it. Today i washed and dyed the rear seat ,it's out drying.
Old 02-10-2011 | 04:05 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

These did not come with the piece of fabric to be able to do that. I know what piece you are talking about though. The early seats had a piece of fabric with a wire inside of it that goes down in between the slit in the foam and then is attached to the seat springs with the hogrings. Thats the piece that mine did not have.

I considered using upholstery glue to glue the seat cover to the foam (on the backrest and where your butt goes) but decided against it because I wasn't sure how well it would hold, and if I ever needed to remove the covers for any reason it would make it pretty difficult, if not impossible.
Old 02-11-2011 | 01:04 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

What about any repairing foam... What would the spec be for a foam that could hold up to seat use?
Old 02-11-2011 | 02:01 PM
andys-944
Pro

Looks great, are they Leather or Vinyl?
I was looking for leather and found thise company http://www.barbari.com/car-seat-cove...at-covers.html with leather for $285 has any body seen these installed?
Old 02-11-2011 | 05:39 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

I did similar to Catamx but used a combo of hog rings and zip ties to fit the leather snug on my sportseats.

Hollywood, where are the top release lift buttons?
Old 02-11-2011 | 09:38 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I got some foam from Jo-Ann fabrics. It's probably not automotive grade but whatever, I don't drive this car every day so I'm not that worried about it.

They are vinyl covers.

ELLSSUU, are you talking about the buttons to fold the seat down so passengers can get in the back? They're on there, you just can't see them.
Old 02-11-2011 | 10:35 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood D

ELLSSUU, are you talking about the buttons to fold the seat down so passengers can get in the back? They're on there, you just can't see them.
Ahh, your'e right. I just couldn't see them on my phone.

Did you have any trouble installing those. The thickness of the material on my upholstery makes them not sit in far enough to catch.
Old 02-11-2011 | 11:30 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

I would not worry too much about it. The seats look great. Now go enjoy them..

Quick Reply: I re-upholstered my seats--with pics