Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dull Instrument Cluster Fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Dull Instrument Cluster Fix

I had the typical dull instrument cluster problem on my 952. It was so dull I could not read any of the gauges. I pulled out the cluster and decided to try respraying the reflectors with chrome paint. I masked them up and gave them a coat. I didn't mask the front perspex and got a little over spray on it.

Anyway I also replaced the globes with *super-bright* LEDs, figuring while I was there. Bottom line was an epic fail. If anything the cluster was even darker.

Tonight I decided to pull out the cluster again and refit the original globes, and see if the respray actually did anything. Well turns out it worked a treat. I can now read my gauges clearly. I also decided to try some acetone on the over-spray. I was worried about this but figured the perspex was already in need of replacing anyway. I had a wet rag on hand to wipe off to try and limit any damage if things went south.

The acetone smeared the paint and left a haze. I then thought I would try and give it a gentle polish, and remembered I had used toothpaste once on a CD and new it was gentle. Another win. It polished off the haze and perspex is like new.

I took her for a quick drive and I actually saw the boost gauge(first time I have watched it) and was surprised it hit 1.6-1.8 bar on full boost. The car has a chip and has been dyno'd at 169kw at rear wheels(about 227HP). Does anyone know how much this(boost) is, in imperial ?

So if you are looking for a cheap fix for the cluster I can suggest trying chrome paint. Obviously I am not sure how long it will last but see no reason why it won't be another 25 years

peace
Cyberpunky
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like a good fix.
Your boost is 10-11psi (stock) on the stock gauge 1 bar is 0 Psi, 2 bar is 14.5 Psi. I'd advise you to get a proper boost gauge to see how much boost you're running, the stock gauge isn't that accurate.

I'm from melb also, which suburbs you from?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Hey Pauly
had a mate tell me 1.8 was about 20 psi and although I know guage isnt that accurate figure motor would explode well before 20 psi so am curious how much better than stock Im getting
I'm in Moorabbin...where are you ?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Just found a convertor online and says 1.8 is 26 psi...factory gauge must be way out or my days of giving it to this car are very numbered lol
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

With the stock gauge, it dosn't read vaccum figures only "boost" figures. The gauge reads "atmospheric pressure" where the standard atmospheric pressure is 101.3kPa which is 1bar rounded down (100kPa). so that means when it says 1 bar on the gauge it's actually 0 psi (where on a normal boost gauge measured in Bar, it would measure 0 bar which is 0 psi) 2 bar on the stock gauge is 14.5 psi (where on a normal boost gauge measured in Bar it would be 1 bar which is 14.5 psi) so on your gauge it's reading 1.8Bar which is worked out to be 11Psi.
If you want to be accurate, buy your self a boost gauge from autobarn and tap it off the KLR line on the passanger side. Very easy to do. & If you're thinking of running more boost (if the chips can support it) you will defently need a new boost gauge.

If you did have 26 psi running, you would defently been thrown back in the seat with well over 250rwKw but unfortunately not going to happen with the stock k26/6 turbo. you will be lucky to get 210rwKw which is a good amount of power.

I'm from the west side, Altona.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:07 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
With the stock gauge, it dosn't read vaccum figures only "boost" figures. The gauge reads "atmospheric pressure" where the standard atmospheric pressure is 101.3kPa which is 1bar rounded down (100kPa). so that means when it says 1 bar on the gauge it's actually 0 psi (where on a normal boost gauge measured in Bar, it would measure 0 bar which is 0 psi) 2 bar on the stock gauge is 14.5 psi (where on a normal boost gauge measured in Bar it would be 1 bar which is 14.5 psi) so on your gauge it's reading 1.8Bar which is worked out to be 11Psi.
If you want to be accurate, buy your self a boost gauge from autobarn and tap it off the KLR line on the passanger side. Very easy to do. & If you're thinking of running more boost (if the chips can support it) you will defently need a new boost gauge.

If you did have 26 psi running, you would defently been thrown back in the seat with well over 250rwKw but unfortunately not going to happen with the stock k26/6 turbo. you will be lucky to get 210rwKw which is a good amount of power.

I'm from the west side, Altona.
correct
Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're running stock boost and intend to keep it that way, stock gauge is fine, in my opinion. Everybody's says it's not accurate, but that's only half true. The resolution of the gauge is the problem, because you're reading 0-14.5psi between a 1 inch region (since half of it is vacuum pressure). However, When the needle for mine is right on 2 when I'm at 14.5, verified with an aftermarket VDO vacuum gauge. Since you're still within the operating range with stock boost levels, I don't see the point in getting a aftermarket unit.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

for several decades Porsche coudn't get their Aerospace division on the phone to set them up with some instruments that could work after the setting of the Tuscan Sun... however, late in the 20th century, they hired radioshack who hooked them up with some fancy LED lights in all sorts of cool colors.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the info guys. the high number had me worried as I don't want to put more than factory boost(well maybe a little) into motor. I know a lot of listers are into modifying but personally I am more than happy having cat close to stok. The PO put a stage 2 power chip in and cat back exhaust, and as far I can tell, that's it. As I have no plans to do track days, I won't be chasing more power. I figure it will be hard enough keeping a clean drivers license as it is lol

Pauly are you a member of PCV ?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
thanks for the info guys. the high number had me worried as I don't want to put more than factory boost(well maybe a little) into motor. I know a lot of listers are into modifying but personally I am more than happy having cat close to stok. The PO put a stage 2 power chip in and cat back exhaust, and as far I can tell, that's it. As I have no plans to do track days, I won't be chasing more power. I figure it will be hard enough keeping a clean drivers license as it is lol

Pauly are you a member of PCV ?
No, not a member, maybe in the future though. Are you?

keeping your licence in victoria is always the issue
Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I joined PCV as my insurance is cheaper with it and figure it would be good to meet others who have these cars in their blood lol. Your car would do well at the track days by the look of it. I am yet to attend any functions, as I work retail and so very rarely have free time on weekends but am planning on getting to a few events(I just joined BTW).

I used to drive around faster in my old civic(and have never copped a ticket in it), but I know that if I do slightest thing wrong in this car, they will be all over me, and you only have to blink and you are over the limit in the 952. I am looking at it from the point of view that's its not a matter of if I get done, it's just when and how badly I am busted. All the bloody cameras, it is basically a road user tax
Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I never really thought about joining. It would actually give me a chance to see the rest of the 951 owners in vic, which dosn't sound like many. I still think im a little to young to track this car even for fun, technically im to young to drive this car since im still on my P's

Oh police stories... first day i had my licence i got pulled over in my 951. I'm not sure how old you are but since im young they try and find the slightest thing wrong to fine me. lucky they havnt found anything to pick on. i've been folowed for around 30 min (it's not obvious at all...) and i was doing the speed limit, probably 5 under because speedo issue (common) and get pulled over "good afternoon this is a random alcohol and drug test" now the car is off the road (turbo/exhaust issue) im driving around in a ute, and police dont look twice, or even once.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

take the police to court. ask a da and judge to clarify why this is going on. ask the supervisors why it's taking place. be proactive. make contact. go on the radio. all in your power. ask questions. ask why all the ridiculous surveilance. ask the da if you were born to be somebody's slave. ask for an answer in a formal letter. the criminal police will get stop harrassing you because it's not worth all the negative publicity.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
take the police to court. ask a da and judge to clarify why this is going on. ask the supervisors why it's taking place. be proactive. make contact. go on the radio. all in your power. ask questions. ask why all the ridiculous surveilance. ask the da if you were born to be somebody's slave. ask for an answer in a formal letter. the criminal police will get stop harrassing you because it's not worth all the negative publicity.
+1 for peaceful citizen pro-activity.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
We've got this all for our speed cameras. why are they here, do they save lives... if so prove it. prove they're arn't road tax fees. ect on the news, radios and news papers, for years now. this is how far we've gotten. the victorian government has now put in the newspaper the positions of the mobile speed cameras on the road every day. Why did he make this move? because he got caught speeding via a mobile speed camera.

Quick Reply: Dull Instrument Cluster Fix