Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mount Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM
shazam01
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Mount Issue

When I removed the engine on my '87 924S, I noticed that the 2 motor mounts do not appear to be similar. One, the right side (passanger's side...see 1st photo) has a metal cup over the rubber mount, while the left (driver's side....see 2nd photo) does not. Should both have the metal cup? In addition, the mount on the right side has a metal bearing surface that is in 2 parts, while the left side has a single part metal bearing surface.
I've finished rebuilding the engine and I'm ready to reinstall it.....but, I need to resolve this motor mount issue first.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

You probably have one original one, and one after market one.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's how I found mine, believe them to be originals. NA's had different L/R mounts from the factory AFAIK.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow,
Such mis information here.

What have is first mount is old style mount. These were updated by Porsche in later years.

The second on is the newer style mount.

So what happen is that one mount was replaced and the other is original from 87 or 86. I say 86 since some of the early 87 924S have alot of 86 vintage parts on them. My 87 924S parts car had a few 86 vintage items that were later updated. Seeing they photo the mount replaced was the passengers side. This common since the head of the exhaust gets to that side first. However both should ahve been replaced, but due to the cost of mounts some time it does not happen.

So no big deal.

The aftermarket vs OEM mounts are visually identical except for tiny marking in the rubber.

If you plan on installing the motor for long time I suggest replacling both mounts. They are an item that wears over time since the engine it out they are simple to replace now. With the engine in it hours of work to get there. Both look to be collapsed given that they should be tight fit from the rubber lip to the top of the crossmember. These appear to have gap and this is what happens when the mounts collapse.

On my 944 race car I use cheaper aftermarket mounts. They don't last as long, but on race car I don't notice the extra vibrations and will end up pulling the motor or pan gasket often enough.

For my street 88 944 Turbo I spend the extra money and replaced my torn up original mounts (both late style) with OEM ones. Stupid expenisve, but I figure I should get 10+ years from these vs 2-3 from the aftermarket ones.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 ^
Especially the the "stupid expensive" part.

FYI
Old mounts needed a 4mm thick washer on the bottom surface--------------
The new mounts in pic 2 have a raised shoulder on bottom each side.

Do not use Deutsche parts, URO or other cheap brand of MMs unless you want to repeat your work in 8-12 months on your DD. Meaning get Rein, Corteco or OEM late 951 # Porsche.

You can check your mounts if you measure top and bottom bearing surfaces. (Not including shoulder on new mounts)

GL
John
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Motor Mount Issue