Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine compartment insulation falling apart. IDEAS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Cochezz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine compartment insulation falling apart. IDEAS?

So everytime I open the hood there is foam or whatever it is all over the place.

I see you can buy replacements from Pelican, but I'm not sure that the best use of the $100 I have in my pocket. I'd rather invest in my retirement.

SO has anyone ever removed the insulation? Is it really loud after? Does it look horible?

Looking for comment on this.

Merci
Old 02-01-2011, 09:44 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can remove it without ill effect. The later cars actually came without it from the factory. If your car is a turbo, you may see some damage to the paint on the hood over time due to heat. This is a bigger issue on cars that are tracked.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Remove it and don't look back... However there are many in the camp of replacing it with an upgraded material..

I have first hand knowledge of at least 1 car that almost burned to the ground, but is now returned to operation, the hood liners saved the paint during a complete engine fire!

They are not required for the car.. but I consider them to be like a gun.. it is better to have them and never need them, than need them and not have them!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

yeah I put some in my 1990 s2 , none from factory.
the paint on the hood above the exhaust manifold...if you look really close with a halogen light ( I was detailing it ) ...I could see these linear indications, that sealed it for me. car only had 83000 mi @ the time
I bought the ones from automotion, with the reflective foil looking stuff. fit like a charm.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 AM
x2nervisx
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was the same way. The slightest touch would result in foam and dust everywhere. I just took my shop vac with a wide nozzle attachment and the insulation came right off the hood.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:16 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Originally Posted by Cochezz
So everytime I open the hood there is foam or whatever it is all over the place.

I see you can buy replacements from Pelican, but I'm not sure that the best use of the $100 I have in my pocket. I'd rather invest in my retirement.

SO has anyone ever removed the insulation? Is it really loud after? Does it look horible?

Looking for comment on this.

Merci
I had the same thing and opened the hood and laid a drop cloth over the "cold" engine and proceeded to scrape the old insulation off with a plastic scraper, at some point I will replace it but even what is left looks better than what I had and no more mess...so far no ill effects.
James
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Cochezz
Instructor

Thanks for all you comments.

Will do.

Quick Reply: Engine compartment insulation falling apart. IDEAS?