Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"2 Fast 2 Furious"........Just saw the trailer, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 05:29 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dal Heger:
<strong>Love the flames coming out of the exhaust.... Just waiting to see the ricers catch on down here.

Flames = power!

Damnit, I need to get a test pipe for the turbo.. get some real flames going on downshifts and trailing throttle.

I figure that it'll be as stupid as the first one, if not more.

Oh well, more fun for me!

Dal.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I thought the first was a good movie. They don't make enough movies like this. Some of these stunt drivers are at their best. I am looking forward to the next one, no matter how corny those cars look.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:31 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Devia:
<strong>I think they put something in the tail pipes to light the exhaust...my dad used to do that to one of his American Muscle cars. But he said those are TOTALLY ILLEGAL! Too many liabilities.

So if anyone puts something like that on their car, it's going to be at the minimum ticketed, if not towed, and reinspected by the local DMV.

Some dumbass is probably going to blow up his car, trying to do that, anyway!

It's obvious that the majority of the car crashes are computer generated - much cheaper than paying a stunt person to do something insanely stupid, plus the cost of the car.

But each person is responsible for themselves, I will not blame a movie for the stupid things people do.

And then there's the people who didn't get "Matrix:Reloaded". I suppose those are the ones who will do the stupid things with their cars!

- Julie</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">NO comp generation. I have seen the making of these movies. Thats why it makes it a great movie all stuntmen at their best.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:40 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
did anyone say gay?
Old 05-18-2003, 12:23 PM
qoncept944
Pro

I seriously don't think I could ever date a girl that likes these movies.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:30 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would seriously consider opening a shop that sold a bunch of ricer products--wings, stickers, body kits, cheap, heavy rims--because I know I would make enough money to build one kick-*** 951. You may not like it, but if you could make massive profits off of it, why not?
Old 05-18-2003, 12:34 PM
qoncept944
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by iloveporsches:
<strong>I would seriously consider opening a shop that sold a bunch of ricer products--wings, stickers, body kits, cheap, heavy rims--because I know I would make enough money to build one kick-*** 951. You may not like it, but if you could make massive profits off of it, why not?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Market saturation. I don't think it'd be so easy to make money..
Old 05-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Untier
Racer

had no need to see the first and i'll save my money with this.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:17 PM
mrmunky
Pro

on release date, i KNOW there's going to be like 100 ricers sittin in the parking lot of the theater. I'm gonna be out there with a bullhorn yelling "RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE" for a while.

the movie looks worse than the first one, totally.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I like drag racing and stopped doing it when they closed down the track about 10 years ago 6 miles from my house. For $10, gas, tires, and wear on your car you can get time slips from 10 AM to 12 midnight. I encountered crowds similar to the ones portrayed in the last movie and met everyone from recreation racers to Mexican mafia killers on the track. The movie is exaggerated but has its base from the real life drag racing scene on the streets. Lets put it this way, 10 years ago Big ***** closed the track after the gang shootings and finally when Mack Perry (accused of child molestation) drove his sub 8 second car into the DOT concrete barriers not stopping after the finish and killed himself at about 200 mph. I ended up with what was left of his car along with what was left of the 540 cubic inch bowtie bigblock with Brodix aluminum heads, titanium valves, triple springs, dana 60 shortened rear end, etc. I would estimate the car costing about $60k - $70k to build and the only thing left today is the right front ultralite and tire I keep around as a memorabliia. It is no less expensive to drag race as it is to road race a P car. The first movie was not all about cars but the bunch of guys making money illegally to fund their racing and how the cop tries to stop them. Have some willing suspension of disbelief when you go see a movie just as if you were watching star wars. I found it entertaining and like Jay Leno said: you would understand if you live your life a quarter mile at a time.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No computer generation!? Yikes! I sure hope those stuntpeople took all safety precautions!

- Julie
Old 05-18-2003, 09:50 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
couldnt say it any better than timmy did:

...gay.......
Old 05-19-2003, 12:15 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Come on people!

Where's your suspension of disbelief?
Of course its utterly silly and unrealistic, thats the fun of it.

Its always odd that people have no problems enjoying james bond movies even though they are utterly silly. Pick any of the last ten movies you watched, atleast 8 of them require major suspension of disbelief.

I guess this hits too close to home...?

I personally will enjoy watching the absolute silliness, and the 20-minute drag races where they shift 7 times, and their talking about double clutching on upshifts. (if not only for the cars)
Its American, Its Hollywood, and Its entertaining!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:17 AM
user 8430
Banned

I am excited.........to see the ladies....... Devon Aoki

Did you guys see the trailer where Paul W is driving along at 120-140 and then hits the brakes and comes to a stop in about 20 feet?
Old 05-19-2003, 03:19 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lego, that's very interesting! I learn something new all the time.

- Julie
Old 05-20-2003, 06:10 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay...no CG in 2F2F? C'mon...it's quite obvious there is some just watching the trailer. It stands out a great deal. There was also some CG in the first one as well. While they might not talk about it in every "making of" that doesn't have a lot of CG in it when they want to emphasize the reality of the driving, if you know where and how to look, it's there. Even my favorite movie for car chases, Ronin, has some CG in it when the Mercedes is backing out to start the chase and we see real tire smoke in one shot and in the next it's awful looking CG smoke.

As to the cost of making CG vs doing it in reality, don't forget that there are going to be car companies (Mitsubishi already) showing off their cars with ads for the movie in their commercials. If someone gives you a car for free and you have available labor to mod it for safety before wrecking it, that could be MUCH cheaper than doing it in CG. Expect to pay $10,000 plus per SECOND of CG from most of those bigger animation houses after cost from building models and rendering layer after layer comes into play plus setting up lighting, animating, etc. Not cheap to do CG...cheaper than it used to be, but not cheap.

Not interested in seeing it to me though. Too many movies now feel just because they can do something, that they must. Newest Bond film blows because they have gotten away from the formula that worked to chase these other cheesy action movies with no plot. The new Charlie's Angels with the helo on the dam scene? I was laughing and crying so much I just about missed the movie I paid to see after that trailer ended. That was sooooo sad. It does NOT need to be done just because you can do it.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: "2 Fast 2 Furious"........Just saw the trailer, opinions?