Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

verdammte einspritzer!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 09:58 PM
oldstan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question verdammte einspritzer!

Help! OldStan is an OLD 356er. My 85 (2.5) 944 is giving me fits. I think the gas gauge is faulty. As a result, I think I may have run the tank verrrry low...engine spitting and sputtering...I refilled tank, but symptoms persist WHEN AND IF IT STARTS! Lately it cranks and cranks to no avail. Then when I'm just about to give up it MAY start, but runs rough. Mostly it will not start. As I'm presently lacking another car, I can't rely on 944 to get to work. Must the system be bled??? Did I suck air? Any suggestions greatfully received.
OLDSTAN
Old 11-16-2002, 11:18 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, in the 18 years I've had my 83 944 I've run the tank almost dry once. Couldn't give it full throttle but could do a fast idle. Got me to a gas station a half mile from where the pump started to suck air.

I've read that the 944 fuel pump does not like to be run dry. Since the engine usually stops just before that happens I'm not certain that anyone as ever really run their electric pump "dry". However since the pump is a full immersion pump, fuel actually goes around and over the armature and brushes, I can see where lack of "coolant" would damage the inner workings.

All the gunk in the bottom of the fuel tank wouldn't do the pump any good either. Sure would clog up the filter.

I'm wondering if it's really your fuel pump that's the problem. There is a testing procedure to go through that can eliminate 90% of the engine systems. What type of internet connection do you have? DSL, cable, modem?
Old 11-17-2002, 12:08 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd start by replacing the fuel filter, then run a can of injector cleaner through a new tank of gas. You may have sucked up some gunk when you ran the tank low. Both things you should do periodically anyway, so it won't hurt to try.

good luck

Thaddeus

Quick Reply: verdammte einspritzer!