Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KLR/TPS/DME/DME relay ? No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default KLR/TPS/DME/DME relay ? No Start

HI everyone
I am a new 952 owner(1986 model). About 10 days after buying my car, I have started to have problems. The first couple of times it happened(car just stalled and wouldn't restart), I would try for a few minutes and car would re-start and be fine. This happened about half a dozen times, Then car stopped and when I started it, it would idle but as soon as I touched the throttle, it would die again.

I was waiting for a tow but after about 2 hours I got her going but idle was high and she ran really rough, but got home. I then tried restarting when I was home(straight away) and she ran perfectly again. I drove around the block and no problem.

Next day I (foolishly) drove to work, and it was fine until I pulled into work, where she died. After work I started her up, again smooth as, but about a mile down the road, she died(in peak period traffic).

3 hours later I was on the back of a tow truck, as couldn't get her going.

OK I have searched and found this is a common porblem but I can't work out, whether its my DME relay, TPS or KLR etc. My mechanic is going to try swapping the KLR, but I am curious if anyone knows how to test to see which item is causing my grief. I am leaning towards DME relay or TPS, but have no idea and am just going off posts here with ppl with similar problem.

All the post I have read always seem to have other problems or aren't conclusive as to what my problem maybe.

Is there a definitive guide of tests to go through, to work out this problem, or does anyone have an idea what to do.

When car is in fault condition there is no spark at all. we have swapped out factory alarm, so illiminated that.

thanks in advance

Cyberpunky
Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Yarf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information at Clark's garage, refer to the Garage Shop Manual.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Yarf, have been reading up there and done a bunch of searches here. I can now eleiminate the TPS and DME relay, as the DME relay has been replaced and TPS tested. The KLR is being sent off as I type so am hoping that is the cause. I can't believe how much I miss this car already and how bad all my other cars feel now lol
peace
Cyberpunky

Quick Reply: KLR/TPS/DME/DME relay ? No Start