Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo gurus please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:30 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stereo gurus please help!

I've done a few stereos so I don't feel like a total idiot when handling soldering irons and wires, but I think this is one of those bonehead questions I've just never dealt with...after a bunch of little problems (a ground wire went to crap?) I have everything hooked up and working, but I can hear a little static out of the drivers side speaker when I turn on the radio, when I turn off the radio, and when I open the radio...pretty much anytime it draws power. Now, after that static, the radio played OK, but after a little while, it would cut out like there was a short, and I could definitely tell somethign was not right with the driver door tweeter...it just hit too hard for a tweet. It did play music, not just static, though, which has me a bit perplexed...is this a simple indication that I have the + and - wires backwards, or is it more like a short between these two? I'm using the MB Quart crossovers and 2 piece components, which worked fine (I thought) with the old deck, and the wiring is hooked up exactly like the old one, but I have to assume I'm missing or don't know the fix for something relatively easy here...

Please help?!?
Old 05-04-2003, 05:59 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And after a few minutes (and the last post) I went out, tried the stereo again with the exact same result...played fine, I tried putting a CD in, still played fine (though still with just a little static through that RF speaker setup with the MB Quart crossover which worked with the old stereo fine), but after a minute or two of fiddling with fader and balance to see if everything was playing properly (it did seem like the RF was a hair more quiet than the rest of the speakers) it again cut out. Now, I had a problem earlier with a ground cutting out...started out fine, suddenly wasn't so good...I assume that in some aspect these two things are related, but I'm not sure how...could the ground be bad and causing the problem, or is it more likely that the wiring on teh RF door is backwards (would this still play music?) and that is causing the ground to go **** up?

Quick Reply: Stereo gurus please help!