Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snowy Drive Home

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 AM
bkp944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Way cool pic. If you had a high res version i'd make it my desktop wallpaper.
Here's a link to the original:

http://tinyurl.com/2adou6a

It was made with a 5mp point-n-shoot, so the resolution isn't the greatest.

But, maybe Dougs51 can Photoshop it for us!

-Brian
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrenan
That's adorable, they treat snow like its a zombie apocolypse!
Don't joke about that. The Zombie Apocolypse could happen at any time without warning. I saw a pic on the net somewhere of a road sign warning of Zombies Ahead so it must be true.

I like the pic sans jeep too!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
Anyone that says the 944 is terrible in the snow doesn't know WTF they are doing (Or the have 275+ summer tires on the back lol)
...or has driven a C4
Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Load up your guns and gas up the P-cars

Old 01-08-2011, 12:28 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin_944
Yup, it does. I couldn't climb a 3 degree incline with those tires (275s)on no matter what I tried...

you got that right, and a few days ago in thems Appalachian Mountains, i had the white knuckles and stranded car to prove it, almost couldn't make it up the highway exit ramp. froze my *** off too.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

924S is daily driver all year...except this one. Its warm in the garage on jack stands with it's guts on the bench. Lots of good snow here in west NC, and I have a collection of 4x4s for such. Agreed that people freak with snow, not so much here in the mountains, but over the holidays I was in Chas. SC and it snowed. People are just stupid.
Dammit O-dina...you've distracted me again...speaking of zombies, where's that chicks thumb?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

google:

nude gallery of Alexandra Kabi.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh my...
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Let's get this thread back on track, away from zombies and Alexandra's hot body...

I drove my 944 about 10 feet in the snow.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

with that lip.... use it to plow the driveway.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
with that lip.... use it to plow the driveway.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

Any advice for someone who is driving not only a 944 but a manual for the 1st time in the snow. Before this i had a subaru outback so i never had problems with snow but this morning i was sideways pretty much the entire way to work and almost went into the ditch a few times. I wasn't going fast, in fact i was going very slow, 5mph or maybe 10. mostly in 1st gear. The roads were iced, like a skating rink iced.

soon as i got on the road and accelerated forward even very softly and slowly the back end began to slide to the other lane and as i tried to give it some gas to keep from sliding backwards and into the ditch the more it just slide sideways. So I backed off and just stayed at a steady low rpm and it regained control but i was pretty sure i was going to be in the ditch within the 1st 30seconds of leaving the house.

Also, how can i downshift without doing the same? When i downshifted to make a left turn my *** end was sliding to the right and to the ditch. I hadn't even really started to make the turn yet.

I have 15 inch wheels, just the standard 215/60/15 size tires, Goodyear Eagle GT all season, basically brand new too. But OMG it was like night and day compared to driving the outback last year.

the roads were clear by lunch but this morning and again tomorrow morning they will be solid ice again. It doesn't help that my city is ill prepared for snow/ice and the **** doesn't get cleared out until like noon.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I didn't think it was gonna be bad at all but it was BAD. Even considering walking to work tomorrow (I don't live far) but I'd rather not.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Snow tires.

"All season" = crap.

Start off in 2nd gear - you'll have less torque going to the rear wheels and they'll be less likely to break loose. Also, don't downshift... Put it in neutral and just use the brakes gently.

Again, real winter tires are a softer compound and usually have a thread pattern that will maximize the contact patch with the ice (or other slippery surface). All season tires are just junk.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keaton944
Any advice for someone who is driving not only a 944 but a manual for the 1st time in the snow. Before this i had a subaru outback so i never had problems with snow but this morning i was sideways pretty much the entire way to work and almost went into the ditch a few times. I wasn't going fast, in fact i was going very slow, 5mph or maybe 10. mostly in 1st gear. The roads were iced, like a skating rink iced.

soon as i got on the road and accelerated forward even very softly and slowly the back end began to slide to the other lane and as i tried to give it some gas to keep from sliding backwards and into the ditch the more it just slide sideways. So I backed off and just stayed at a steady low rpm and it regained control but i was pretty sure i was going to be in the ditch within the 1st 30seconds of leaving the house.

Also, how can i downshift without doing the same? When i downshifted to make a left turn my *** end was sliding to the right and to the ditch. I hadn't even really started to make the turn yet.

I have 15 inch wheels, just the standard 215/60/15 size tires, Goodyear Eagle GT all season, basically brand new too. But OMG it was like night and day compared to driving the outback last year.

the roads were clear by lunch but this morning and again tomorrow morning they will be solid ice again. It doesn't help that my city is ill prepared for snow/ice and the **** doesn't get cleared out until like noon.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I didn't think it was gonna be bad at all but it was BAD. Even considering walking to work tomorrow (I don't live far) but I'd rather not.
Do a better job of rev matching, if im downshifting on ice i rev the motor up in between gears to make it as smooth as i can, that way i don't break traction in the rear. Letting the car rev up the motor is a recipe for disaster as its the same as hitting the brakes on the rear axle only. Insta spin if its slick. Also, get a second set of dials or some 16s for summer tires and get snow tires. Best money i ever spent.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

Thanks guys, didn't think about starting off in 2nd gear that's a good idea thanks.

Quick Reply: Snowy Drive Home