Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bal Shaft leak? and coolant system question-86 951

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Lee Zook
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bal Shaft leak? and coolant system question-86 951

The car is an 86 951 with approx 185k miles on it.

The story: I thought my water pump (approx 40k miles) was leaking excessively, so I gathered up some parts with the plan to replace it (Did belts 15k miles ago and at that time everything timing/balance belt related was ok with only approx 25k miles on them). In draining the radiator, I found the blue plug rather worthless and the most probable cause of my coolant leak. Had to take radiator out as the plug broke leaving the threaded part in it. In looking at the inside of hoses and radiator, I find a brown residue. However, the drained coolant looks rather clean/clear. Coolant system had not really been messed with for 40K miles and it look fine at that time. Drained oil and it pure oil (no milkshakes).
Question 1- I am thinking that the brown residue is oil and should change head gasket (it is original) but was also wondering if the turbo (approx 60k on a rebuild) oil seals can leak and introduce oil into the coolant system?

Proceeded to remove all the normal stuff and am finding some oil grime/residue on the inside of the timing covers. Belts are dry. Removed inside cover and did not see any real signs of the water pump leaking, although the pump turns really easily. I did find a lot of oil residue on the front of the engine under the upper balance shaft housing (see picture). I had replaced all the seals back at the 150k mile point and the area adjacent to all the shaft seals are dry.
Question 2- Anyone experience a leak specifically with the upper housing o-ring and can confirm? Is there anything else that could be leaking oil in this area?

A good news item was that I took off the intake manifold and the intake ports/valves in the head were so clean that you would think they were new.

Any answers is greatly appreciated as I want to get the right parts and get it back together by the end this weekend (1/9).
Thanks,
Lee
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lee Zook; 01-03-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: did not complete a sentence
Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like your upper balance shaft is leaking. Make sure you replace the collars when resealing. Some seals are double lipped while others are single. The single ones leaked in my car even though it was the same manufacturer(Victor Reintz). I bought the second set from Pelican Parts with no leakage problems.

Quick Reply: Bal Shaft leak? and coolant system question-86 951