Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 924 death

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 10:23 AM
PSH944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Porsche 924 death

I have some very sad news today.

Today someone died on the roads in Perth, Australia driving a Porsche 924.

Firstly on the driver. The driver was Ben Hollioake, a talented and very well respected cricketer. He grew up in Perth and played A grade cricket there, as did I until I moved to Sydney recently. He then tried his luck in England where his natural coordination and dedication took him to international level where he represented England for many years. At 24 years of age his potential was never fully realised even though he had success at the top level of the game. It is a sad day for cricketers around the world, and thoughts go out to his family and his many friends around the world today.

Ben was driving the weakest of the modern era Porsches, the 924. He was driving with his girlfriend in a 924, his sister in a car behind his, saw the whole accident. I doubt he was drinking that night, and he has more natural hand-eye coordination than 98% of Porsche drivers. While entering an on ramp to a freeway his car went out of control and hit a wall, instantly killing him, and seriously injuring his girlfriend who is not out of danger yet in hospital.

Look at the facts. A very coordinated person, driving an "underpowered" 924, without any cars involved was killed. Please take this as a serious warning to not take lightly, the fact that the car you are driving is capable of getting you round quickly, and very capable of ending your life if used slightly incorrectly.

If this warning was to take one notch of over confidence that a driver has about his abilities then I've done my job.

Please be careful people, as I really don't want to read of a car crash like this one ever again.

Website with the news of his death:
<a href="http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1047015,00.html" target="_blank">http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1047015,00.html</a>

Sam.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank You, Sam.
Sobering and Very Sound advice for us all. If you can, let his companion know that our prayers are with her.
Life still has a 100% fatality rate, but lets' all strive to die of old age.

Be Well, Sam

Jim 944S, and Cancer Survivor (so far!)

Quick Reply: Porsche 924 death