Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EDIT - To Buy or Rebuild - How Much To Rebuild Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 10:15 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Question EDIT - To Buy or Rebuild - How Much To Rebuild Alternator?

I got a quote of about $135 for a rebuilt alternator, though the person wasn't able to tell me what brand it is. There is a one-year warranty on it.

Or I can have mine rebuilt for slightly less, and know that it's a genuine bosch piece.

What would you guys do?

I was wondering if any of you have had your alternators rebuilt before. I called a shop and they said they'll charge about $85 to rebuild it, which seems on the low end. I don't mind paying less money , but I want a quality job. So how much have you guys paid to have your alternator rebuilt? Of course, I'm going to go with the upgraded (14.4v) voltage regulator as per Iceshark.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I removed mine two years ago and had it rebuilt by a local shop. It was, if I recall, in the $80 to $90 range. So far, so good. No problems.

Of course.."Your results may vary".....

Cheers

Bob S.
Old 03-25-2002, 04:24 PM
sm
Drifting

bump
Old 03-25-2002, 07:35 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what sort of idiot you talked to that couldn't tell you what brand of rebuilt alt he was going to sell you, but I would sure stay away from him.

Get yours rebuilt by a quality shop and just have them tell you what they are going to charge once they get it apart and can see what is what. And if they warranty their work.

I sent out 4 adjustable regulators today to other guys; I should have just sent one to you and you could have supplied to to the rebuilder so he didn't charge you for that part.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

I had my alternator for my VW rebuilt from a local shop just recently, cost me $92.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:35 PM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

I have had some bad luck with rebuilt "low bid" starters and alternators. In one case, the rebuild came with a bad starter gear/clutch. My wife was driving the car and didn't tell me that it was grinding after the first or second whrrrrr. Had to pull the transmission and replace the flywheel and the starter (again). Personally the only rebuild I would go with is a Bosch factory rebuild with warranty, or at local shop where I could watch them rebuild it. This also applies to alternators, low end rebuilder can save some money by not replacing worn or damaged parts. --Roy--
Old 03-26-2002, 02:17 AM
sm
Drifting

I spoke to a shop who rebuilds our alts and he said they'll replace whatever needs to be replaced for $89.99+Tax. Bearings, stators (spelling?), voltage regulator, etc. There's a 3 month warranty on the work. I think I'm going to go with this rebuild since I'll be getting my original alternator back. I don't want some no-name piece.

Iceshark - I asked if I can supply my own voltage regulator, but he said no b/c he didn't want people to make a habit of substituting parts. I'll email you about buying one from you.

Quick Reply: EDIT - To Buy or Rebuild - How Much To Rebuild Alternator?