Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Fan goes on and off and on and off...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002 | 11:00 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Post RE: Fan goes on and off and on and off...

At idle, and at slower speeds, my fan keeps switching on and off, repeatedly. (I see the volt meter drop and hear the fan switch on) After I switch the ignition off, it will do the same for a short amount of time too.
It doesn't appear to be happening once I'm at cruising speed.

My temp guage stays steady at the 2nd tick from the bottom, but I've seen it move a little around there. Also, my coolant in the overflow reservior is warm, so I have to assume that it is cooling the block. After driving for an hour or so, the reservior is at the MINIMUM level. Not good?

I did have a lower temp thermo installed recently, and have driven the car HARD at DE events.

Could the switch just be going? I'd like to try to repair it myself: it this ia difficult job? My car is a 1989 S2.

Thanks,
-Zoltan.
Old 04-15-2002 | 06:56 PM
adrian jay
Instructor

Hey Z was up !

ok <thinks>

Fan comes on when the thermostat switch tells it thats the enngine needs cooling,

same thing happens even with ignition switched off

The reservior water level, does it ever get to maximum ? what about the actuall level of the water in the rad,

COuld be a bleeding problem ? when the lower thermo was changed was it bled ?

if there's an air pocket floating around it could be making the sensor flip off instead of staying on,

check the realay for the fan (pull it and clean connections) or swap with a know or new one.

holla back

Adrian

Quick Reply: RE: Fan goes on and off and on and off...