Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   944T>996TT?!?! (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/608391-944t-996tt.html)

Hotshoe 12-29-2010 10:52 AM

The whole obsession with being the "faster" car is really quite juvenile and makes me wonder the age of many of the members who seem obsessed with beating other cars.

I mean c'mon. the 951 IS a a great car but trying to justify its' superiority by "racing" other cars and saying how much better it is because it's faster and cheaper just screams "Hey I'm 19 and don't really understand classic cars!!!" Do you really think a 951 is better than a 996 TT?? Be proud of your awesome car and stop trying to prove how great it is.

I'm sure your car is also faster and cost less than a 550 Spyder or a Lusso. It's NOT about speed and cost. Learn to appreciate other cars for their timeless lineage and you'll not only appreciate the true classics more but your 951 as well.

If not, I have a little shifter kart that cost less than your 951 and can destroy it in every aspect! ;)

toddk911 12-29-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hotshoe (Post 8167277)
The whole obsession with being the "faster" car is really quite juvenile and makes me wonder the age of many of the members who seem obsessed with beating other cars.

I mean c'mon. the 951 IS a a great car but trying to justify its' superiority by "racing" other cars and saying how much better it is because it's faster and cheaper just screams "Hey I'm 19 and don't really understand classic cars!!!" Do you really think a 951 is better than a 996 TT?? Be proud of your awesome car and stop trying to prove how great it is.

I'm sure your car is also faster and cost less than a 550 Spyder or a Lusso. It's NOT about speed and cost. Learn to appreciate other cars for their timeless lineage and you'll not only appreciate the true classics more but your 951 as well.

If not, I have a little shifter kart that cost less than your 951 and can destroy it in every aspect! ;)

The performance automotive industry world wide has been juvenile for 60 years. Otherwise every perfermance car ever made would still make 100hp.

But they don't, they make more power and get faster year after year.

hacker-pschorr 12-29-2010 11:10 AM

Your car is only as fast as the last car you outran.
We own performance cars, it comes with the territory. :p

Classic cars? 550 Spyder? We are talking about a 996 here, not a Duesenberg.

What kind of lap times would you run at Road America (the full track)?

User 52121 12-29-2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by p5th (Post 8167230)
I hope Im able to say this without punishment.......I bought my 951 for me! I dont care who thinks what! I love it! If I want attention Ill drive the other car I have,....If I want to have fun,enjoy the ride......ITS 951 ALL DAY! And by the way,.....I live in DC area, I get asked 3-4 times a day....."what is it?", might be DC but I also get attention! Keep her clean and running right,...." EYE OF THEY BEHOLDER KIND OF THING"

LOL... and ditto :)

One day when picking up my son from daycare, I had a guy come over to me and compliment me (honest compliment) on my "really clean Datsun." Honestly I think I prefer that most people see my car and think it's some 1980s Datsun instead of a Porsche. Keeps me lower on society's radar.

That being said - if someone came along and offered to trade me straight up for a 996TT in really great shape, I'd have to think long and hard about it. I *love* my 951 (a love that goes back to childhood) but it would still get me thinking.

Hotshoe 12-29-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by toddk911 (Post 8167313)
The performance automotive industry world wide has been juvenile for 60 years. Otherwise every perfermance car ever made would still make 100hp.

But they don't, they make more power and get faster year after year.

I agree but it still is nothing more than a d*&k measuring contest. At some point you just learn to appreciate performance at all levels and not try to play the one up game.

Hotshoe 12-29-2010 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 8167321)
Your car is only as fast as the last car you outran.
We own performance cars, it comes with the territory. :p

Classic cars? 550 Spyder? We are talking about a 996 here, not a Duesenberg.

What kind of lap times would you run at Road America (the full track)?

Performance cars? You do realize you are talking about a 944/951 don't you? ;) Would you rather show up at a PCA event in a 996 or a 944? They are each awesome and deserving of respect but to try and say a 944 is better than a 996 or GT2 is laughable.

Given I could run the kart full out thru most of the corners and gear it to do over 100 on the straight it would be pretty interesting albeit mismatched.

I'm not bashing you guys and appreciate your enthusiasm. I just get a good laugh every time someone thinks a 951 is the end all be all.

User 52121 12-29-2010 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hotshoe (Post 8167446)
Performance cars? You do realize you are talking about a 944/951 don't you? ;) Would you rather show up at a PCA event in a 996 or a 944? They are each awesome and deserving of respect but to try and say a 944 is better than a 996 or GT2 is laughable.

Given I could run the kart full out thru most of the corners and gear it to do over 100 on the straight it would be pretty interesting albeit mismatched.

I'm not bashing you guys and appreciate your enthusiasm. I just get a good laugh every time someone thinks a 951 is the end all be all.

The only 996 that has beaten me in the last year at regional PCA autocross events has been a 996 GT3. And only on occasion - I've beaten him too. There weren't many 996's with a faster raw time than me at Parade this year, either.

Hard to do in a laggy 944 Turbo. But possible.

As for which I'd rather show up in? I get a LOT more attention at PCA events in my 944 than any of the 996 guys do (including GT3's.) I have a LOT of people stopping by to check out the car, introduce themselves, ask me about it, etc. Some guys loved them as kids, some guys used to have one when they were new, etc. So that's a no-brainer - I'd rather show up in a 944. 996s are a dime a dozen.

hacker-pschorr 12-29-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hotshoe (Post 8167446)

"Better" is a relative term. Where did anyone mention a GT2????

As for PCA events, it's a hell of a lot more impressive to show up in a 20+ year old sports car and hold your own against the newest models.

Most would not agree a 928 is "better" than those cars either, especially on the track.
Yet that doesn't stop Mark Anderson from winning most POC / PCA races in GT2 and ahead of most in GT1. Don't bring up the old excuse of pouring money into anything to make it fast......he is on a shoestring budget compared to a lot of the competition.

Add to this the known reliability issues associated with the 996, yes I fully believe the 944 is a better automobile.
A friend of mine ditched his 951 & 911 Slantnose for a "newer" (he assumed better) Porsche. Look where that got him:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-camshaft.html

toddk911 12-29-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hotshoe (Post 8167411)
I agree but it still is nothing more than a d*&k measuring contest. At some point you just learn to appreciate performance at all levels and not try to play the one up game.

Agreed. Which is why the automotive industry is male dominated. LOL

hacker-pschorr 12-29-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by toddk911 (Post 8167596)
Agreed. Which is why the automotive industry is male dominated. LOL

:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMQM4ASGRg

grayman 12-29-2010 01:15 PM

Again, all of these cars have different personalities/qualities.

Going out to dinner with the wife on a warm summer evening in the Boxster S seems to be what that car is made for. We have taken it on several longs trips to different PCA events, and it is also a fine traveling car. Our Volvo S60R is our best long distance cruiser though. 300hp, AWD, quiet, good economy and plenty of luggage space.

When I want to tear around old school style and act like a kid, the 944T S is great fun for that. We have made a few longish trips in it (Tail of the Dragon a few times) and it is not bad. I have done 2 DEs with it, and had a blast. I passed many different cars (to include a "tuned" Lancer Evo), and got passed by a Mini Cooper. In my opinion, and at least at my skill level, driver ability is more of factor than the type of car you drive.

The 996TT is fun, and to me, scary fast. It is completely stock, but does have the factory X50 package. Of all the cars I have, this is the worst long distance traveling car. The fuel tank seems too small, and the road/engine noice gets very old after a few hours on the interstate. Compared to my other Porsches, the luggage space sucks. We drove it to a PCA event this past spring (Cleveland to Melbourne Fla) and I vowed never again.

I do worry about the health and longevity of the two new porsches, as cars with the M96 engines (Boxsters and 996 911s) as well as the 996TT with the Metzger engine (much different from the M96 engine) are gaining a reputation for having internal problems (IMS bearings, cam chain wear, etc)

The Boxster S is the least "regarded" car by most porsche owners. I get far more positive comments from non-porsche people.

THe 944T S gets a fair amount of attention from fellow porsche owners, to include my mechanic. The car is in very nice shape, and I spend a small forutne on it every year to keep it looking and running properly. I think more and more porsche owners are starting to appreciate just how good the 944 turbos was in its day, and how well it holds up against more modern cars.

The 996TT gets about an even amount of attention from both porsche owners and non porsche owners. I even had a pretty girl smile at me once while I was in the 996TT. That never happened in the other two cars :mad:

Can I say one Porsche is better than the other? Yes and no, all depends. Is the Volvo a better car than the Porsches? In some ways, for me, yes.

Do I appreciate ALL performance cars? Yes

My wife hates American performance cars, both old and new. I love them. My wife talks trash about Ferarri, especially when they whoop Porsche during ALMS. I covet Ferarris.

I guess I just appreciate all performance cars, even Dodge Challangers :thumbup:

Hotshoe 12-29-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood (Post 8165256)
This..

is why I goto get togethers... last one I went to I had a shiney new GT2 owner tell me he paid way to much for his car after parking next to my 951.. ONE of his wheels cost more than I had in my car at that point.. Guess which one of us enjoyed the drive more?

It isn't about model, or even make that binds us.. it is the essence of the experience...

GT2... mentioned right above. ;) The sentiment above is true but I'm sure the GT2 owner was just being polite and he enjoyed the drive a heck of a lot more.

You don't have to convince me how great the 944/951 is compared to more modern cars. I just think it's funny how important it is to some people to validate whatever it is they are driving at the moment as the original post did. I'm sure some where there is a "My Civic smoked a Porsche" thread raging at this very moment.

Hotshoe 12-29-2010 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 8167603)

HA!!! That is a classic.

piperporsche180944 12-29-2010 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S (Post 8167134)
lol. Grenades are no fun! E85 should be interesting. You have easy access to it? I have never seen an E85 pump in the places I have lived!

It is scarce around these parts but it is at nearly every McCormic, BP and Meijer gas station.

Where did I say in my posting that my friend or I were "obsessed" with being the faster car? I suppose if I was obsessed I would have stuffed in a LS2 along with a turbocharger and I would have posted a thread on the 996 forum titled "Whos Next Chubby" :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Once again, where in my posting did I say my 951 was all mighty and superior to anything let alone a 996TT? I am happy with my car, the 996TT owner was the one that wanted to compare. I have ran against this 996TT at Grattan and Gingerman and he was never able to keep up, granted my car is track prepped, fitted with slicks at track events. Id say driver ability is the main factor in that. I cant help but laugh at your "I dont understand classic cars" statement, especially when I know enough about this classic car to embarrass a newer superior 996TT. Im not bashing the 996TT by any means and once again, I did not post this up for 911 and 944 owners to bump heads.

:_otopic: I appreciate other cars and my own. I

:bowdown: There we go... A pissing contest.

piperporsche180944 12-29-2010 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hotshoe (Post 8167703)
I just think it's funny how important it is to some people to validate whatever it is they are driving at the moment as the original post did. I'm sure some where there is a "My Civic smoked a Porsche" thread raging at this very moment.

Once again, If it was so important to me I would stuff a LS2 with a turbocharger in my 951, navagate on to the 996 forum and post a thread titled "Whos Next Chubby?" Get off your horse Napolian, your starting to look like a fan boy. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: 996