Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, so comprehensive check on coolant flush / fill bleed

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:44 AM
malapropism
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, so comprehensive check on coolant flush / fill bleed

I have spent hours on this website trying to determine the comprehensive flush/fill procedure. there have been varying methods suggested, so i'm going to try to recap and confirm what has been stated / definitive methods:

1. flush old coolant by unplugging the bottom screw on the radiator (with bleeder valve/ coolant res. tank cap open)

2. fill 50/50 with bottom screw back in

3. turn on the car with heater on

4. wait a few seconds, BEFORE thermostat opens keep bleeder / coolant res. tank cap open and start massaging coolant pipes

5. coolant should start squirting intermittently until smooth stream, close it back up (before?) fans turn on

done?

i am thoroughly confused.. my apologizes i've been taking notes and have not found anything comprehensive. please correct my directions.

a question aside from any flaws in my process:

1. do you fill the radiator and the resevoir tank? or just the radiator first and the expansion tank to keep full?

thanks in advance, sorry if this is frustrating to you vets
Old 12-26-2010, 11:14 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to Autozone or whatever and rent one of their coolant pressure bleeders. I ended up just buying one.

It will save you a bunch of time and frustration.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:57 AM
malapropism
AutoX

Thanks i will ask if i can rent one
Old 12-26-2010, 12:01 PM
max_boost951
Racer

Here is a method I find works excellent:
-Remove radiator cap
-Pull radiator drain plug/petcock
-Put a garden hose in expansion tank neck and start vehicle, let hose run and car idle, that will remove all the old coolant.
-After car idles for about 30 min, turn car off and let all the excess water drain out
-Reinstalled drain plug and fill with straight coolant, the block holds enough water to mix coolant properly.
-let idle with bleeder screw open until straight coolant runs out, installed reservoir cap and continue to bleed with bleeder screw until you feel hot air from vents.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

I use a wet vac to get the coolant out, it works very well via a radiator hose.

It is easy bleed the air out if you blow the coolant into the system using the overflow hose, as detailed in this forum many times. Fill the system as best you can, then clean the end of the overflow hose and put it in your mouth. Left hand on a wrench on the bleeder screw, right palm over the coolant neck (in place of the cap.) Blow, open bleeder, close bleeder, inhale. Repeat as needed. Take the car for a drive with the heat on full blast and when it is hot give it one last bleed (which is generally not needed but what why not?)

Works great and is super easy. Don't drink the coolant though. Bad.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Okay, so comprehensive check on coolant flush / fill bleed