Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lining up door panel for reinstallation

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 10:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Lining up door panel for reinstallation

A while back I un-necesirly removed my passanger side door panel (10 speaker stereo) to get to the door stay...turned out I didn't have to get to it from that angle.

Anyway, ever since then the panel that the passenger side window switch is on hasn't mounted quite right. Everything else seems to line up fine...The panel that the window switch is on sits too far to the left...such that it rubs against the dash a little at the bottom left corner of the panel.

Thanks for any tips...I don't think I broke any of the clips that hold the door panel on..and all screws are tight.

--Adrial

After further investigation (removal/reinstall of the door panel) I've found that the entire panel doesn't really line up right...

It is most noticable at the door panel to dash "meeting". At the top of the door panel, i can stick my finger in the gap, at the bottom its very tight. On the driver side its similar, but not nearly as exagerated.

what am I doing wrong? How hard can this be?

My sequence: Clips, 3 screws holding on the panel, 3 screws holding on the arm rest, 1 screw holding on the panel behind the door release then the speaker install.

thanks again..
Old 03-21-2002, 01:08 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

*bump*
I think it may be because the door is misaligned..
I've tried aligning it...the results have been the door not latching easily anymore...I think I need to wait for someone to lift the door for me.

TIA
Old 03-21-2002, 01:19 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bummer.

My door panel replacements went very easy. Both sides fit with no alignment issues. Wish I had some helpful advice.

Cheers,
Old 03-21-2002, 01:57 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

the top of the panel hooks onto this metal line on your door.. angle the door panel like this / and get the door lock thru the hole, then hook the top part on first, then bring it down to the bottom..

SHAUN
Old 03-21-2002, 03:03 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was going to say exactly what Shaun said- you can get the panel on w/out overlapping that piece (hook or whatever you call it) and still have it work, but it will not line up correctly. It's really supposed to have the hooks on to hold it up- maybe to help support the weight(?). When I installed my 968 panels on my Turbo S, I had to really work the passenger side for some reason- I had to keep pulling it back, as it wanted to go on forward, towards the dash, but after working w/it for a few minutes, taking it off and on, etc, it went on right. The hooks were a pretty tight squeeze on the 968 panels too- they really felt like they were going on, but often times didn't- they're really supposed to clamp it tight... Also, I wouldn't think the problem would be w/the door alignment- I think the panle would go on right no matter how the door was aligned to the car, unless it was REALLY off- I may be wrong though. Good luck, and e-mail if you need help...
Old 03-21-2002, 03:04 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

whats the difference between 944 and 968 panels? do u have a pic?

SHAUN
Old 03-21-2002, 10:14 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Woohoo!
That metal clip was just what the problem was...

removed the plastic that was covering the door, prior to my above
discovery, to lube the window mechanism (used lithium grease...didn't seem
to have any effect...guess it didn't really need it, it seems to get bogged
down at the bottom portion of the travel. Anyway, how do I reapply that plastic stuff? How much is it to replace it? Mine seems like the previous mech cut it to get to some stuff and then mended it...I'd like to replace it if it oesn't cost too much...I assume I could just buy some generic stuff at the hardware store and glue that to the door?? Any recommendations for
glue?

I'm leaving tomorow to visit the Porsche factory and go skiing in Austria.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, they get torn up over time if you screw around w/the panels- not sure about their price though- I've just gone around and taped up the open edges and tears w/duct tape, which seems to be working so far. I plan to tape some thin, light-weight dyna mat around it when I do my new speakers, door buttons (w/blinking LED's) 1 touch up/down window controlers, 968 mirrors, etc- I have all the parts, but haven't done the work yet..

Shaun-

I e-mailed some pics to you- one of a Turbo S door panel and one of a 968 panel to show you the differneces- also, many people aren't aware that the Turbo S panels ar slightly different than the normal 951' w/the speakers and tweeters, etc. Both pics were frokm people on this board, and I would have posted them, but my computer's SO SLOW,and I'm not too good at uploading- if anyone else wants them, I can e-mail them to you and you can post them... Hopefully I'll have a decent computer again soon...

Quick Reply: Lining up door panel for reinstallation