Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody who has owned a 90+ 300ZX TT...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 01:26 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Yes, the 300ZXs turbos are Parallel, i will third that. The Super-HICAS steering was standard on all Twinturbo models. It is a very useful and friendly "tool" if you get yourself in too deep it can help the average driver pull out of a bimbo mistake. For the track enthusiast it just makes the rear of the car jittery when setting up for a corner....Stillen has a HICAS eliminator kit to rid you of this problem though. In addition, I don't know where you heard the BS about turbos going after 60,000 miles. It's possible for them to go that early with neglect and improper warm-up and cool-down, however I know of one car that has 200,000+ miles on it on STOCK TURBOS and numerous others with over 100,000+ miles on them still running strong. Try to get a later car, (92+ as that's when they switched to suede interior trim and added a few small things here and there and fixed the little things wrong with the car) and make sure you get a PPI before buying. Other than that, comparing it to the 951 I would say that the 951 is definitely a more balanced car as far as tracking and driving at 10/10ths a Nissan will never compare to a Porsche (with the exception of the Skyline GT-R, but that's a whole 'nother story). However, the 300ZX is much easier to drive fast for the average person and it's a much better all-around daily driver type of car compared to the 951. I think that if you find the right TTZ you will be very happy with your purchase, buy another lemon (which is what it sounds like your 944 was as I've never hear of $8,000 in repair in one year on any other 944) and you'll be sorry.....because repair bills can add up fast.

later,

amir
Old 03-21-2002, 03:01 AM
Geo
Race Director

Sounds like most of the speculations have been cleared up. The Z32 (300ZX) TT indeed has one turbo (T22) per bank. The engine bay is certainly a bitch.

The Super-HICAS can indeed be eliminated with a kit from Stillen, but other than a few parts, you'll want to stay away from them. Jim Wolf Technology are the real Nissan tuning wizards. In fact, if you get one, get a 95 or earlier car. Nobody has cracked the code for reprogramming the OBD-II ECUs for these cars. JWT is really the only folks besides JUN who can do a decent reprogram and JUN is twice the cost.

As for cost of parts, I can assure you that if you know where to buy, you can get Nissan parts much cheaper than Porsche parts.

Indeed they can be made to put out some serious power. My buddy Mike Kojima of Sport Compact Car is putting down somewhere around 500 hp to the wheels. If you are interested in these cars, you might want to check out the series of articles on his car.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:09 AM
Geo
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by ZAMIRZ:
<strong>...as far as tracking and driving at 10/10ths a Nissan will never compare to a Porsche (with the exception of the Skyline GT-R, but that's a whole 'nother story). </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't over rate the Porsche and under rate the Nissan. I have a lot of friends who do a lot of DEs with their FWD Sentra SE-Rs and they regularly run down and pass P-cars, including 911s. My pal with the ITS Sentra SE-R has raced against a ITS 944 and it was a pretty even match. While I'm building an ITS 944, I do think the SE-R has more potential. I'm not trying to be obnoxious by saying this, but it is true.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:24 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I never understood the parallel turbo thing. I DID know they were ALL all-wheel steering, but that's a trend that kind of fizzled out. SCC has a great series on their project 3000ZXTT like George said. When it comes to the old Japanese triple threat of that era (SupraTT, RX-7TT, and 300ZXTT) I always liked the RX-7 the best, as it was BY FAR the lightest. The Supra's and Z's were just too heavy IMO- hell, I think the 951's are too heavy for their size. All of these cars, even the 951's really look like great project cars until you actually get one- the grass is always greener right? You read a few magazine articles and hear a few HP claims, etc, then start seeing some low sales prices and your hooked. That's the problem- I bought my Turbo S for $9K and have put another $11K into it in ~2 1/2yrs- and NO, none of it was for COOL stuff like engine mods. I'm to the point where I'd just like to get something nice and new and say "F*** it!"- you know, like an Audi S4 w/chips, or a new M3 or something- too bad they're so far out of my league, but w/what I've put into this car, I'd be half way there. Oh well, hindsight's 20/20. Maybe some day I'll have this one the way I want it...
Old 03-21-2002, 09:28 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

I had one for a few months a few years ago. I think it was in '95 I owned it. It was a reliability nightmare. Cooling problems, brake problems. With 55K on it, I remember I could hear the turbos spinning down after shutting it off. Yes, I'd give it cool down time too. It was on a trailer 3 weekends in a row. After the third, I told the mechanic to make it run good for 1 day and drove it out of town and traded it off. I'm much happier with the 951. It's also high maintainence, but it's much more fun to drive and light years easier to work on. Better top end power too. My 300 was a slug over 120. The 951 just keeps on pulling.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:29 PM
stupenal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Geo, that a sr20det in the g20? or ca18det? And whichever one it is, how much is it putting to the wheels?
Old 03-21-2002, 10:27 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by slevy951:
<strong>...My 300 was a slug over 120. The 951 just keeps on pulling.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You had a lemon my friend...

My 300Z TT was a 93 with 60K miles and it would get to 156mph quick. Now, from 156 to 162 it need it a lot of road and some help from the wind.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:56 AM
Geo
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by stupenal:
<strong>Hey Geo, that a sr20det in the g20? or ca18det? And whichever one it is, how much is it putting to the wheels?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Indeed it is an SR20DET. I did an article on the swap for Sport Compact Car in the December 01 issue. I have some really cool enhancements as well. Usually with a turbo car, people immediately think boost controller, bigger turbo, etc. I went for things that would make it spool earlier and bring boost on smoother while making more power. It's got low mass pulleys, low mass flywheel, Extrude Honing and Swain's White Lightning coating for the exhaust manifold, turbine housing, and exhaust elbow. It's a sweetheart.

I haven't had it on the dyno yet. Since November all my extra "car time" has been invested into building the race car. I also need to install a bigger, higher flowing exhaust. With that, I'd estimate about 200-210 at the wheels, but of course, I have to get it to the dyno to prove it.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:54 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

[quote]Originally posted by Jaime Diaz:
<strong>

You had a lemon my friend...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's putting it nicely. I actually got into it very right so when I traded it I came out even. Doesn't make up for the frustration, though.....

Quick Reply: Anybody who has owned a 90+ 300ZX TT...