Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best $4 i ever spent on my porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 06:35 PM
bs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb best $4 i ever spent on my porsche

when i ordered the new drain plug to replace the one that i broke, I also ordered something i'd been wanting for awhile... a new bulb for my key (cost less than $4 from pelican). well last night i took apart the key, pulled out all the little copper peices and cleaned the oxidation off with sandpaper, put in a new battery (got it from radio shack... i forgot the part number but i have another one at home if anyone wants to know it tell me and i'll post it tomorrow) and the new bulb. and now it works BEAUTIFULLY!!! what a great idea to put a light in the key... i'm sure i will use this battery up with in a month because it's so damn useful. Perhaps when i replace it next i will put in a white led instead of that power hogging incandescent bulb.

but for all of you with dead keys, all i can say is that for around $5 you could have a new battery and bulb and the coolest key you have ever owned!!
Old 03-20-2002, 07:56 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Say, Ben, are you in on the headlight deal?

I've e-mailed you but not sure if it went through. I only have 3 pairs of lights left in the original order and one was set aside for you. I'm going to sell it if you want to wait awhile.

As a side note for any other readers, I am now selling the Narva Range Power 55/60 bulbs due to several folks wanting them. They want the better Cibie headlights but don't want to step up to the rewire plate.

The cost is sort of high due to marketing reasons by manufacturer, $10 a piece, but cheaper than the local PepBoys that want $11.99. These are the tweeked versions that everyone advertises as "up to 30% more light than standard". The standard for low beam on a 55/60 watt bulb is 1000 lumens +/- 15%. So you can see where the ad boyz & galz came into play.

But these are the great legal tweeked bulbs that everyone else sells. No blue tint crap. First rate, manufactured in Germany.
Regards,

Ice
Old 03-21-2002, 02:11 AM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

im still lookin for a cheap way to replace the battery/bulb without using factory parts.. like an LED + similar size battery or just something cheaper than pelicans $5.80 bulb and $3.95 battery.. hmm....

btw, heres the battery cheap
<a href="http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=V625U" target="_blank">$1.02 varta battery</a>
Old 03-21-2002, 02:31 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

i just picked up a lighted key with the PORSCHE crest inside of it.. got it from a local tuning shop BLACK FOREST for $14.95

i LOVE it.. just looks so classy...

SHAUN
Old 03-21-2002, 04:34 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Agree 100% on the value of a lighted key! Just the other day, I was struggling to find the ignition with the key in the dark--then I remembered I got a new lighted key!! Problem solved!! Looks cool too!

Quick Reply: best $4 i ever spent on my porsche