Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan on passanger side and what to tell porsche on monday

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002 | 02:35 PM
tecart
Pro

Post Cooling fan on passanger side and what to tell porsche on monday

Monday porsche will be testin the battery, alternator and for any shorts but also the passange side cooling fan that is not freely turning on my car. It is a 1986 944 turbo and i have read 2 different ways of how that fan operates depending of the turbo year. #1 does the 1986 passanger side cooling fan only run when the a/c is on? #2 does it only run when the 3rd white mark is reached on the dash temp. gage? #3 since my driver side fan works and spinns easyly does the pass. side one spin easy too or does it have resistance with the car off, can it be possible the 1986 pass. side fan doesnt spin freely like the driver side one? #4 should i ask porsche to replace the fan or just its motor? I looked at it today and its not rubing on anything it just dont come on with the drivers side one ever and its wont spin as i try to move it it feels like it has resistance but it will move freely just not spin at all any amount. Thanks for the help on battery and this pass. side cooling fan operation for 1986 year cars
Old 04-12-2002 | 04:38 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello!

#1 - No, both fans either run at high or low speed at the same time. It's only the pre-85.5 cars that have a fan that only runs when the A/C is on or the car gets really hot.

#2 - No! The fans should turn on at low speed at about half way between the second and third line (needle horizontal on the guage). The fans should switch to high speed if the needle touches the third line.

#3 - Both of my fans on both cars spin freely.

#4 - Chances are that the fan is fried. you can test it by turning on the A/C. This will force the fans to come on (at low speed). If the pass. side one doesn't turn then you can take it out and try to apply current directly from the battery to test it (do this at your own risk!).

Good luck!

Dal.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan on passanger side and what to tell porsche on monday