Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question - replacing steering boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 10:07 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Stupid question - replacing steering boot

I need to replace the rubber boot on my steering rack (passenger side). How do I do this? Looked at it briefly, appears I need to remove the tie rod end. Is this correct? Will the boot then slide off the assembly? Pardon my ignorance.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:02 PM
R.B.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced both of mine. I did not remove the tie rod end. I disconnected the tie rod end from the wheel assembly. I pulled off the old boot right over the rubber grommet and the tie rod end. I cleaned up the area that was under the boot and regreased. Also clean up the rest of the tie rod so as not to get dirst on the new boot when installing. Then I took the new boot and carefully fed it over the tie rod end, pushed it over the grommet, seated the outside end on the grommet and then seated rack side. Check that it is sealed. Put the tie rod end back into the wheel assembly. And drive on!
Old 10-24-2002, 12:04 PM
Joel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete,

Yes, you will have to separate the outer tie rod end from the control arm. Once that is done you can work the boot off. Be careful sliding the new one on, as it is a bit of a pain.

To remove the tie rod undo the cotter pin, remove the top nut and either use a tie rod separator tool or a hammer to lightly hit the top of the tie rod end to pop it out of the control arm. Don't turn the adjuster sleeve on the tie rod (that way the alignment setting won't change).
Old 10-24-2002, 05:11 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks. Always good to hear BTDTs before taking on a job, no matter how large or small.

Quick Reply: Stupid question - replacing steering boot