Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack group-purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 06:11 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ordered a long rack this morning. Offer expires today (Monday)!!! Be sure to ask to speak to Dara.

Talk about timing. I let the 951 sit for a week. Yesterday, I looked underneath, no oil drips; good. Start the car up; within 30 seconds the smoke from fluids burning off the exhaust manifold convinces me I have an engine fire.

Run the car up on ramps to look for the leak. Start counting leaks:

1. Oil pan gasket. I knew it was seeping, but now it is dripping directly onto the manifold.

2. Steering rack. Fluid dripping from both boots, reservoir low.

3. Steering reservoir. Seeping from bottom. (Hoses and PS pump have been replaced within last two years.)

4. Two drops of antifreeze on exhaust at back of motor. I'm guessing heater valve.

Phoned for a long rack this morning. I will pull the car off the road in 2 weeks and do pan gasket, rod bearings and steering rack at the same time. I will also check motor mounts, tie rod ends, ball joints and turbo downpipe/crossover while I am in there. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Steering rack group-purchase.