Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG! DIY Cylinder Honing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
He wasn't using a torque plate on that block because it is a V8 block and a torque plate will not make a difference....on an inline block this is a different story.
I believe he wasn't using a torque plate because he was lapping, not honing, and the lapping process removes such a small amount of material that it does not meaningfully change the dimensions of the cylinder.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:35 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

He wasn't using a torque plate on that block because it is a V8 block and a torque plate will not make a difference....on an inline block this is a different story.
That makes absolutely no sense.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
That makes absolutely no sense.
Sure it does, what makes you qualified to make such a statement, other than you read the internet?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:46 PM
944CS
Drifting

I'm not posting again in this thread....I just have one piece of advice for anyone wishing to do this on their own - read the factory service manual, look at the clearances listed, converse with a machinist who has experience with alusil blocks and ask him how much the bore size will change and whether it's a good idea.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Sure it does, what makes you qualified to make such a statement, other than you read the internet?
Well if you are qualified then can you explain? I don't think you understand what a torque plate is really used for.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general idea behind a torque plate is that you want to simulate the cylinder head being bolted on. The block distorts some amount with all that tension in the head studs, therefore, in the interest of making the bore round under these conditions, machining is done in this stressed state. As to why you would need a torque plate on a 4 but not on a V-8, for honing isn't clear. I suspect it is something learned by doing.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been under the impression that, in the case of alusil, that lapping and honing are different. The final stage of lapping is simply a surface treatment. These two are being tossed around interchangebly in this forum - myself included. lapping appearently removes a .5 micron of material and simply allows the rings to seat and the walls to retain a thin oil film. All the while having little or no effect on piston clearance. This is encouraging for the DIYer that wants to simply rering the existing pistons, or install good pistons of the correct size in a different block.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:42 PM
AScholtes
Pro

absolutely correct whalebird.

I can tell you one thing for certain. Neither honing or lapping requires the use of a torque plate. I have built a many of engine over the years and never once was a torque plate used in the honing process (or in this case, lapping). Honing, when done correctly changes the bore dimensions very very little. Nearly every one of the honing heads i have seen allows for flex in the stones as to not take too much material off of the bore and only leave a good cross hatch. Since the stones are allowed to flex, it contours to the bore and does not change the bore dimensions. In this instance where a felt pad is used with a lapping cream, the felt pads give and allow for the variances and therefore the torque plate is not necessary.

As for the statement of using a plate on a I4 vs a V8.... well, let me say, you must have never really built any performance engines. Any reputable machinist building a high quality motor will use a torque plate when boring (not honing or lapping) the cylinders when overboring the block. The same geometrical effects and torsional deflection are not any different on a I4 vs a V8.

Oh, and this is not my first I4, I have built a many of turbo 2.3 engines in my time and the Porsche 2.5 is no more mysterious than any of them...
Old 12-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

While I don't know a lot about this, I would be worried about galling after a hone job if you do not use new pistons. I imagine some of the gliding metal from the piston skits transfers to the bore upon break-in and if you try to run in an engine without it, it might gall.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:32 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought about that too. Considering the cost of new pistons, and the typical worth of a 944 engine, I would think it's worth at least trying the old pistons first, unless of course you're building some beautiful 500hp turbo motor. Even if the cylinders get damaged, oh well you just take it to the machinist, and now you have 2 reasons for new pistons so you buy them. Then again, I'm someone who has large blocks of free time now and then.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:14 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
While I don't know a lot about this, I would be worried about galling after a hone job if you do not use new pistons. I imagine some of the gliding metal from the piston skits transfers to the bore upon break-in and if you try to run in an engine without it, it might gall.
This is in fact, my biggest concern. I have Pistons whose skirts have worn the iron coating off. I suspect this occured with the PO from leaking injectors. Galling has not occured visably, and the bores are w/in spec, but the pistons are just below spec. My hope was to source good used pistons of the same groupe and surface prep the bores as described here. A bit of a long shot in my mind. However, compression was great going into this project; I had an ever so slight piston slap(knock) that would come and go. I'm also looking for a GOOD original replacement engine (any 2.5/2.7, 87 - 89 for an 87 924S)

Quick Reply: OMG! DIY Cylinder Honing