Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG! DIY Cylinder Honing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm keeping an eye on this one. I would love to use my block and rebuild. otherwise I am looking for a replacement motor.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:19 PM
kobayashi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting discussion! Good thing I never used the Harbor Freight Cylinder Hone.

I found the whole pdf for Reconditioning of Aluminum Engine Blocks

So it looks like we need the KS Exposing Stones and KS Silicon Exposing Paste. I wonder if we can get this stuff and glue the stones onto a cheap cylinder hone? This would be great for a refresh when we rebuilding an engine.

Last edited by kobayashi; 12-10-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Good info Kobayashi. It does look doable.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 PM
kobayashi
Rennlist Member

Put in an inquiry with Motor Services International for purchasing the Exposing Stones and paste. We'll see if they get back to me and ultimately how much the stones are. Will post when I find out more.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kobayashi
Interesting discussion! Good thing I never used the Harbor Freight Cylinder Hone.
LOL!

As I read it, Sunnen produces the felt pads and all the other honing products; it appears KS is a reseller in Europe.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

No affiliation. Sunnen Hone stuff.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/2102959941.html
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AScholtes
no need for a torque plate to hone a cylinder... for boring a cylinder yes, but not for honing. Honing is just creating a finish on the cylinder wall.
Not true, especially if the original process used a torque plate

Also, what is everyone going to do about the increased piston/cylinder wall clearance?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
Not true, especially if the original process used a torque plate

Also, what is everyone going to do about the increased piston/cylinder wall clearance?
I think this man is correct. You DO need a torque plate to properly bore and hone. That I am sure of.

I'm not sure on the next part but,
I am not sure that honing the block is necessary when doing what you are doing OP. If there is significant damage then some might decide to bore the cylinder walls and get oversized pistons and only then should you have to hone. I don't think honing the cylinder walls of our engine or any engine is something you do unless you are boring the cylinder walls out because you will increase the piston/cylinder wall clearance by honing.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

If it still meets the factory tolerances then I would think you're good to go. I'm not sure how much of an increase to expect but it certainly would need to be carefully assessed.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

It's been awhile but there used to be a lister here from Colorado that would loan out his Sunnen hones for free and only ask that the stones and pastes were replaced if they got overused. I almost took him up on it but the kit was in use someplace else.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a really cool guy!

It was my understanding that usually honing does not increase the bore enough to warrant new pistons, but of course it always needs to be measured and confirmed.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

I have had this process done twice on blocks and it cost me around $500.
It is critical to measure the pistons and cylinders for proper gap. Proper gap does not necessarily mean the factory tolerances, and can be fine tuned by a good engine bulder for the best performance. If the gap is too big often the pistons get coated or aftermarket pistons are ordered. I have watched the process and I would not want to try it myself. Keeping the hone straight and true is not easy without the right equipment.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes a dial bore gauge is critical to measure taper

And I'm saying it right now, the factory piston to wall clearance for the cast pistons is less than .001"....you'll probably double it by honing and using the old piston again
Old 12-11-2010, 02:00 PM
whalebird
Race Car

That is a valid concern 944CS. However, the above posted info from Kobayashi say that, done properly, the cylinder walls should not increase more than a micron. I haven't done the math, but would this push it out of spec?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's important to keep clear the distinction between honing and lapping w.r.t. Alusil cylinders. As I understand it, the honing process is intended to set the dimensions of the bore and remove any geometric anomalies (taper, ovality, etc.). It also prepares the faces of the silicon crystals, which become the surface on which the rings ride. The lapping process, which occurs after final honing, removes a small amount of aluminum from around the silicon crystals, leaving them sitting proud of the surface and making valleys between them in which oil can accumulate. It's the lapping process that uses felt pads and the Sunnen AN-30 abrasive paste.

The KS document I linked above suggests that up to 0.1mm is removed during the honing process. Because of the large amount of material being removed a torque plate is recommended. Lapping, on the other hand, removes a minuscule 1um, and thus there's no recommendation for a torque plate. Note however that this means lapping cannot be used to correct major cylinder wall problems (scratches, taper, ring ridge etc.). If you have any of those problems you will need to hone the cylinders to correct them.

In all the threads I've read, I have never encountered a DIYer that honed their own cylinders--all the threads are about lapping, including HondaDustR's and the mammoth 911 Re-ring Alusils? thread. In all cases the DIYers started out with dimensionally correct cylinders (or at least they assumed they were dimensionally correct) and performed the lapping in order to prepare the cylinder walls for new rings.

[ BEWARE: I'm an not a machinist, and the above information is based solely on the reading I have done on the topic (which anyone else can to do too). Experts in the field are welcome (even encouraged) to slap me down! ]

Quick Reply: OMG! DIY Cylinder Honing