Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short throw shifter poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:09 PM
DHC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also been toying with the idea of installing a short shift kit on my car, not to hijack the thread but I have a question about the syncros. If I understand correctly the reason a short shift kit could damage or ware out the syncros is because of the "faster" shifting due to the shorter distance. I don't want the kit to be able to shift faster, I simply would like a shorter throw, and better feel. So if my shifting speed doesn't change, and I continue to shift with care, there shouldn't be any more stress on the syncos, right?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that hurts syncros is slamming it into gear, drag racing, etc. If it isn't working right, it wasn't installed correctly or you have other transaxle issues.[/QUOTE]

Thats what a short shifter does. They are overrated.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a Schnell-type in mine for many years (I think it was from Autothority). I did have a friend re-make the rectangular part (with steel) that bolts to the shift shaft. The original was aluminum and it appeared the bolt backed off a little after a few years, causing the shaft mount hole to elongate. The heim joint is original though.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is not my opinion, but the opinion of a mechanic who builds trannys for TRG; the shorter throw does not give the synchros as much time to work and will wear them out faster. On a strictly street driven car with careful shifts it may not make any difference. But if you drive aggressively it will definitely be harder on the synchros.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:57 AM
DerekCanuck
Rennlist Member

I have tried both, the LR short shifter was more expensive and rattled like h*ll even with adjustment, requires an aftermarket shift boot and shifter, the schnell from Vertex is ok, quality built. Mine fells a bit sticky, perhaps I need to adjust. I might try installing the LR shift lever perhaps with additional o-rings and try shifting with both??
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

I'm building my own this week. Basically I'm copying the Mantis setup. I'm not messing with the gear select lever, just the pieces on the trans. I'm not completely sold on the short shift thing either so I'll build it with a stock setting too. That way I can go back if I don't like 30-50%. I've had shift kits in the past that get notchy and require so much effort that accuracy suffers.

As far as syncros go; you can only shift as fast as the trans is capable of. If you try to force the trans beyond it's capability, the syncros take the abuse.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Right Kerry. Forcing the synchros is bad no matter how it's done. I always liked the kit from the tactile improvement point of view. To me it feels more direct and I like the shorter throw. Is it going to make you 1 second faster per lap? I don't think so...
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't fix the football shaped pin on the shift **** pivot and the worn out shift rod interface, then a short shifter kit on the trans will act stupid regardless......

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/the...hlight=shifter

Here's how to fix the shift pin/rod hole and get a true short shifter throw with stereo head unit clearance, all in one......

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/the...ht=forsche+mod
Old 12-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Here's a question, has anyone ever tried to use both the schell and the LR style together? I have the schell right now, and am very happy with it, but hey, if it could be shorter....
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

I actually lengthened my shift lever to compensate for the crunching action of the short shift kit.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

anyway i ordered the schnell from vertex for 75 $ plus shipping.
MIKE C , thanks for heads up on alum. rectangular piece, im a metal fabricator by trade so ill probably template it and make a more substansial one from ss right off the get go.
ill keep you all posted on the outcome. just throwing it out there BTW if anyone has the same issue with that alum piece, pm me ill make you one for shipping only.

1984 euro spec 944 kahlahari gold....gone but not forgotten
current 1990 s2 cab
daily driver 2009 vw gli
Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a lindsey one, was ok then I mfg my own out of a hard alloy. The guy who did it for me was great and the cost was no more than buying one off the shelf. Love my own inventions.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I Orginally purchased the Schnell unit but was not happy with it after I installed it. Once installed you could not adjust it enough to center the Shift lever in the Cocpit. After the Install and proper adjustment 1st gear was where 3rd should be and so on. 5th gear was right up against the edge of the whole in the center console and shifting was aquard.

I then returned it and purchased the Weltmaster unit which I am much happier with. I was able to adjust this one so that my shift lever lits correctly. The throws are considerably shorter and more percise.

From My experiances I would SDay stay away from the Schnell unit. I recomend getting the Weltmaster.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Giantviper
I Orginally purchased the Schnell unit but was not happy with it after I installed it. Once installed you could not adjust it enough to center the Shift lever in the Cocpit. After the Install and proper adjustment 1st gear was where 3rd should be and so on. 5th gear was right up against the edge of the whole in the center console and shifting was aquard.

I then returned it and purchased the Weltmaster unit which I am much happier with. I was able to adjust this one so that my shift lever lits correctly. The throws are considerably shorter and more percise.

From My experiances I would SDay stay away from the Schnell unit. I recomend getting the Weltmaster.
+1 I have the schnell and its off center, reverse and fifth are far off to the right. It still works, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Quick Reply: short throw shifter poll