Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for some info on a possible 951 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002 | 06:20 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Post looking for some info on a possible 951 engine swap

so i've got an s2 now and i'd like to put the 951 engine in my car. i'm not too happy with the feel of my entire drivetrain now so here are the possible plans:

1) obtain rebuilt 951 engine or obtain and rebuild 951 engine

2) rebuild s2 tranny (stock) currently in my car

3) replace clutch

if i go this route would i still be in a stock class (the 951 stock class) for racing? technically this would be a stock car as the turbocab reached some countries, just never in america as far as i know.

also, does this seem like a good idea for a performance boost or will i just be throwing tons of money at the swap? what's a good place to get a 951 long block?
Old 11-11-2002 | 06:25 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Where on earth would you be racing a 944 Cab?

But that is besides the point, if you want a turbo, sell the S2 use the money to buy a turbo. It will be eaiser on you and your wallet. Or turbo the S2 motor, that is an intersting option giving you a 3L turbo 16v motor (it can be done, but this is expensive as well)
Old 11-11-2002 | 06:30 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i would love to rebuild and turbo my current motor because of DOHC and the extra displacement. i was under the impression that it was much more expensive to do this then to just buy a 951 motor and swap it in. i don't want to sell my car because i love convertables and i can't afford to own two cars. i was just thinking down the road because once the car is running good i'd like to autocross it. i wanted to know if i'd be in a stock or modded class as i'd probably get killed in a modded class with no racing experience and so few mods
Old 11-11-2002 | 07:55 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

as for racing you could be in the novice class or whatever, the guys wiht less than 1 year experience. I dont know much about that though, because i haven't had a chance to start my autox carear yet either.

for the turbo engine you are going to need the complete engine(turbo, wiring, computers, clutch, exhaust, intercooler, piping) not sure about the difference between the radiators but you get the idea, it'll cost a few bucks. However this option is much cheaper than turboing your current engine. especially because you can sell the S2 engine after you are done with the swap, and you can sell the exhaust and everything else, so i dont think it should COST too much but it would just be some work, but i believe you have the mounts for the intercooler and all in your car already so it shouldn't be TOO tough, hard part is finding good deals on turbo engines and stuff.
Old 11-11-2002 | 08:34 PM
Danno
Race Director

"i would love to rebuild and turbo my current motor because of DOHC and the extra displacement. i was under the impression that it was much more expensive to do this then to just buy a 951 motor and swap it in."

Yup. There was a guy on 968.net that swapped in a 951 engine on his 968-cab. Hey, I'll have a rebuilt 951 engine to swap for your S2 soon...

Quick Reply: looking for some info on a possible 951 engine swap