Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Simon_944
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Annoying noise

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my 86 944NA.
Since a week, I can hear some kind of a "toc-toc"
sound coming from the rear of the car.

The noise follows the rpm an stops when I step on the clutch. (i.e. it makes toc ---- toc --- toc at 2500 rpm and toc-toc-toc-toc at 4000 (hope you understand!))

Since it comes from the rear I don't think it's the clutch.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Simon
Old 05-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If it stops completely every time after you step on the clutch, its not really the back of the car that is the problem most likely. Everything turns behind the bell housing when the car is moving no matter what unless you are in neutral (then the torque tube stops turning). You may want to check the source of the noise again with a passenger riding as you drive to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Does it make the noise even when the engine is cruising and not under load?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Simon_944
7th Gear

Well, it usually stops or became less loud when I'm cruising on the highway but when I accelerate, it becomes louder. I forgot to mention that the problem is intermittent
Old 05-13-2003, 03:07 PM
TacoBill
Intermediate

Won't hurt to make sure all the bolts (both sides) on the axle to transaxle housing are tight. (most of mine were loose!)
Old 05-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Simon_944
7th Gear

I'll have a look at it for sure ... if it could only be that.

I was wondering if it could be related to the transmission or differentiel oil level... is it make sense ? if so how can I verify.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:36 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CV Joints. If the sound quits when you put in the clutch, makes more noise on accel and decel, going around corners, and is quieter when you hold steady speed, sounds like CV joints to me. Mine started doing that and since it had just started I injected grease into the boot with a needle and a grease gun and the problem is gone now. They hadn't clicked much and apparently the way the boot felt for that one (inner CVs had been done by someone in the past and had a feeling of grease in them) that it had started to run low on grease and wasn't being lubed well enough. Added that grease till it felt like the others and that seems to have done a good job taking care of it.

Have someone outside the car listen while it's making the sound (I never could get someone around to listen when it was happening) and see if you can isolate which side it's coming from.

Oh, if you want to try what I did with the injecting grease, I got a blend grease (part synthetic) with moly. Also, do check your boots and surrounding area thorougly to make sure that there isn't a hole in it...if there is, you'll need to replace the boot at the least.

Lots of stuff on these boards on CV joints if you do a search.

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Annoying noise