Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gran Turismo 5 comes out tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

According to Amazon, my GT5 disc was delivered to my office this morning. Unfortunately, I don't get back to the US until Monday night. This had to be the year I insisted that we stay at the beach until Monday.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! I cant believe it is really out. I still will have to see it to believe it. Those of you with it need to keep us posted to what you think of the game.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, hows the gameplay/driving physics compared to gt4?
and i gotta know, is there AANNYY customization and hows the upgrading?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EA games owns the right to porsche and wont let PD use porsche because of some reason..
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

My review-

The game is great, easier and smoother controls. There's customization like in gt4. GT5 is a lot better than GT4. It still has the Gran Turismo feel to it, but the controls are just a lot smoother. The in car view is pretty sick, and the environments are awesome. They added new stuff in GT Auto like race modifications and aero and stuff.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:29 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
My review-

The game is great, easier and smoother controls. There's customization like in gt4. GT5 is a lot better than GT4. It still has the Gran Turismo feel to it, but the controls are just a lot smoother. The in car view is pretty sick, and the environments are awesome. They added new stuff in GT Auto like race modifications and aero and stuff.
I liked the interior view on NFS Shift a lot better. Plus the sound was better in nfs shift.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a little disappointed, at least from the early stages I've played so far. The karting is fun, but some of the physics (like the feel of the Lotus Elise on the Top Gear track in the intermediate special stage) feels meaningless.

Forza 3 also blows it away for usability, menus, menu music (which wouldn't be an issue if PD's weren't so offensive) and tracks.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:40 AM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT5 is just an updated and better version of GT4. More cars, new track, new features etc. GT6 will be better when it comes out in 2016 LOL.

But anyway, the game is quite fun. I gotta get my liscenses again which will take me weeks. Nascar and drift are widely available. I can't wait to race the LMP race cars and the Ferrari and the lambos.

Did everyone get the collectors edition ? My friend told me the collectors is the only one available currentky...... I have number 25K, as per my certificate of authenticity. Lol.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:00 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

So far, honestly, I think this game is a piece of **** and GT series has jumped the shark. No setting for analog stick sensitivity? No, I'm not buying a steering wheel because they all suck IMO. Is anyone else having a problem downloading the 1.01 patch? Mine freezes on the progress bar between 2-4% every time for the past 2 hrs and bogs down my wireless network so badly that I can't browse the web on my Macbook while I wait for the download to try again and ultimately fail.

The cars don't sound awesome like they do in real life. Menu music is horrible and navigation throughout is annoying. Many tracks and cars haven't changed since the first GT launched 15 years ago...reminds me why I switched from PS2 to XBOX! Forza and PGR are both so much more fun and even though they aren't pure sims, the car selection is better, cars sound better, more interesting tracks, oh and they both have Porsches!

Anyone want to buy my PS3 Slim with GT5?
Old 11-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Will forza 3 come out for pc or what?!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Guys, keep in mind this is Gran Turismo, stop expecting a game like Forza. The quirky music is expected... they are Japanese developers. Did anyone watch the intro movie? That pretty much sums up the game. A whole bunch of weird bull**** to begin with, then it finally gets good. It seems like PD is laughing in everyones face putting the ridiculous music throughout the entire game after a 6 year wait. The extended load times don't help either.

My problem with the game is the difference between "standard" and "premier"(?) cars. The premier cars are highly modeled, while the standard models are somewhat pixelated with limited customizing options(no custom wheels, etc).

I was only able to play the game for some hours at my friends place, but I still like it. I hated the game to begin with as well, the menus are trash, the loading times are also trash. The cars and the tracks available, however, are not trash. I also enjoy the physics more than Forza. GT5 is more playable with the sticks than Forza 3 is. (Forza 3 GT3RSR with no assists takes a lot of care) The GT5 inputs aren't as direct and there is a slight lag time which helps add a more realistic steering feel. Hard to explain.

We were able to download a patch, not sure if it was 1.01, but it finished and installed properly. Make sure you have 8GB of disk space for the behemoth install that takes about 40 minutes on non slim PS3.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paulyy
EA games owns the right to porsche and wont let PD use porsche because of some reason..
And yet Forza does... Probably has something to do with Peter Moore, he used to be involved in the XBOX in a major way before he moved over to be the head of EA's sports division.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

If anyone wants to experience a lesson in horrible, horrible game design then play any of the Top Gear test track special events. You start at the very back and have to get 1st place in only 2 short laps. Simple right? Wrong! They've spawned you in the ****tiest cars known to man including a VW bus that tops out at 63 mph [you have no choice] and you must drive extremely aggressively or you'll run out of time, but if you bump a car in front of you: disqualified. Put one wheel off-track: disqualified. Bump a cone: car goes flying UP IN THE AIR...and then off the track: disqualified. Look at a cone wrong: disqualified. Pass another car too fast on the side: disqualified. I've beaten every race on the first try without very competitive cars but each of these events took me an hour's worth of retries and disqualifications to win.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:38 AM
fressssssh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@PorscheG96- I will gladly take your PS3 and GT5 off your hands if you were serious. I been looking at buying one for awhile and have been too cheap to pay full price. Haha. How much if you were being serious?
Old 11-27-2010, 02:57 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
Im sticking with Forza only because of Porsche
That's kind of sad.

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
If anyone wants to experience a lesson in horrible, horrible game design then play any of the Top Gear test track special events. You start at the very back and have to get 1st place in only 2 short laps. Simple right? Wrong! They've spawned you in the ****tiest cars known to man including a VW bus that tops out at 63 mph [you have no choice] and you must drive extremely aggressively or you'll run out of time, but if you bump a car in front of you: disqualified. Put one wheel off-track: disqualified. Bump a cone: car goes flying UP IN THE AIR...and then off the track: disqualified. Look at a cone wrong: disqualified. Pass another car too fast on the side: disqualified. I've beaten every race on the first try without very competitive cars but each of these events took me an hour's worth of retries and disqualifications to win.

God forbid a driving simulation that forces you to actually...um drive instead of using everything in your site as a bumper / guard rail.

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
No, I'm not buying a steering wheel because they all suck IMO.
Please share with the class the wheels you have tested.

Quick Reply: Gran Turismo 5 comes out tomorrow!