Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
t34418l31
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Removal

I need to remove the windshield off my parts car. Ive done a little reading and it seems it is very time consuming to do with the wire dowel method and you run a risk of cracking the glass. I noticed this seller on ebay cuts out the whole frame: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...#ht_500wt_1182

how difficult is this (easier alternative?) and do you have to saw the entire bottom section?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

It's not that bad. I think the risk of cracking it is worse if you try to wire cut the glass out of that ebay mess since that frame will flex as you cut.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
n_hall
Racer

yes you have to cut the bottom out too. there's urethane all the way around the perimeter.

you could get yourself a cold knife and some cutout wire. and to make the visual part of the cutout easier take a utility knife and cut the molding off. kind of hold the razer blade flat with the shield and cut.

you can practice by going to a junk yard and buying a windshield or 2. they'll probably sell them to you for cheap and you don't have to worry about breaking them. they do it at work with the trainers (except they don't buy them, it's more of a service to the yard).
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
ALFAPU
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few months ago I called a glass shop for a quote on a windshield. They told me it would cost $250 to have a Sekurit (non antenna) installed and around $500 for the internal antenna.

I'd avoid that Ebay windshield, I've pulled several windshields out of 944s and there is no way you will get enough leverage on it with the frame sitting on the ground or on a table. Besides, it's a $200 gamble, if you crack it (which is very easy to do) you're out $200 + shipping costs.

If you plan to remove your old windshield, get one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...d+removal+tool

I've used the dowel and cable method before, the tool in the link is easier once you get it started. Plus, this won't gouge up your paint.

I've also seen pro's use an attachment for a sawzall that looks like a wide puddy knife. However I don't think they were concerned with breaking the windshield.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Summertime is the best time to do this as the ambient heat helps to soften the glue. Makes it much easier to cut through. Seeing as you're in Chicago and it's cold, it'd be easier to cut it out frame and all, if you're trying to sell it. Keep in mind though that trying to get a windshield out of a frame that's not attached to anything is going to be a major PITA. Then again, leave it up to the buyer to do it if you are indeed selling it.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
Summertime is the best time to do this as the ambient heat helps to soften the glue. Makes it much easier to cut through. Seeing as you're in Chicago and it's cold, it'd be easier to cut it out frame and all, if you're trying to sell it. Keep in mind though that trying to get a windshield out of a frame that's not attached to anything is going to be a major PITA. Then again, leave it up to the buyer to do it if you are indeed selling it.
I have one of these from Harbor Freight. It was $10 (on sale, now it's on sale for $13) and is great when you need to add a little heat to something.

michael
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Windshield Removal