Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 AM
God_Bot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD Options

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone had done a break down of LSD options for the 944? I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've heard of aftermarket sources along with finding a stock transmission. Has anyone complied a list of all the sources and perhaps their prices?

The question comes up after I was stuck on my street yesterday in my n/a because one wheel was in a slight indent in ice and all the power went to it. I'm not looking at an LSD for track use or anything, but rather to keep me from getting stuck on a bit of ice on the street.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

For that, i think your best answer might be to buy a transmission with an LSD already built in. Most of the LSD options out there are $1500 + installation. A good used transmission with an LSD might cost you $800-1000 (if it's nothing special).
Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Snow tires? i run them on my open diff 924s and they make a considerable difference.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

problem with buying a used lsd trans is you never know how much life is left on the lsd since the lsd itself is a wear item. a worn out lsd is the same as an open diff.

heh maybe someone should just make a detroit locker diff :P

or just buy a traction mat and keep it in the car
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1QFPYFK08QTHVR
http://www.amazon.com/Treads-Foldabl.../dp/B0047Q9M7U
Old 11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by God_Bot
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone had done a break down of LSD options for the 944? I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've heard of aftermarket sources along with finding a stock transmission. Has anyone complied a list of all the sources and perhaps their prices?

The question comes up after I was stuck on my street yesterday in my n/a because one wheel was in a slight indent in ice and all the power went to it. I'm not looking at an LSD for track use or anything, but rather to keep me from getting stuck on a bit of ice on the street.

I would not bother with LSD for the street. They cost too much for little gain. For the track it is different. Of course for simple DE stuff it is barely worth it and even in racing the difference is that significant.

I got an LSD this year after tracking my car for almost 10 years without one. Difference was noticeable, but no real change in lap times.

Anyway yor LSD options are

Factory and Guard. Guards are great units, but cost $2000. Then you need to install them.

Factory ones are .. well used, but often are still solid. Expect to pay $500 to $1500 for one installed in a gearbox. If you need to install one remember it is long process that must be done correctly or else you will break things.

Now why the range on LSD gearboxes? Well transmission mount styles, speedo connections, 5th gear ratio and location (shipping is often $150 to $200). On top of that is a "racer" effect where some racers see a $1500 LSD box as "cheap" compared to the alternative which is a $2000 Guard unit + $1000 install. They are some what rare and it as such it can take 6-8 months to find one. I found mine on line and it took months of looking. I got it for a fair price.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:16 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

last time I asked the question - early cars should stick with early LSD boxes

unless you are doing a complete 951 swap or a V8 conversion
Old 11-20-2010, 12:30 PM
God_Bot
Instructor

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I actually doubt that I'd put an LSD in the car at this point as I plan on storing it for the winters anyhow. I bought the car with intentions to swap in a V8 at some point in the future so may just wait until then. For now I'll leave it as is.

Can't say I've ever seen those traction mats before. It's pretty common to just use your floor mats here in Wyoming. I didn't want to muck up my Porsche mats so used the welcome mat for our house

Quick Reply: LSD Options