Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Ka-chunk" sound when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:31 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Arrow "Ka-chunk" sound when shifting gears

Hey all,

When I push the clutch in and throw the shifter into the next gear (say 1st to 2nd gear), there's a deep, but audible, "Ka-chunk" sound. This is *before* I let the clutch out and/or giving it any gas. It sounds like the tranny is "settling" into the next gear and is quite noticeable(sp?).

Does anybody have any ideas what this might be? The tranny has Swepco fluid in it, the tranny doesn't seem to move much when I push it from under the car(don't have a reference though), and I don't hear any loud clicking noises which might indicate bad CV joints.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:50 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U also might wanna look at the linkages... I have heard about those goin from time to time... But you know that thats an uh-oh sound...
Old 05-26-2003, 11:54 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
I got the same problem, how do I fix it?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:08 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Your mistaken. What your hearing is your Mechanic going Ka-*****.

Hey a guy has got to make his boat payments.

Honestly though, My best geuss is your syncros are worn. Though you should feel that more than hear it.

Keep in mind that all the bits in your tranny are rotating when your moving, regardless if the clutch is out or not.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rubber donut worn! Mine's doing it a little, but I find if I give a little gas just before letting up all the way on the clutch, that smooths it out.

I am doing research on the metal clutch plate, so I don't have the rubber donut anymore.

Just my .02 worth.

- Julie
Old 05-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine did that...hadda replace the clutch eventually. It made the clunk right before you felt the clutch engage. If you're not letting the clutch out at all it could be something else...
Old 05-27-2003, 03:23 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Tremelune:
<strong>If you're not letting the clutch out at all it could be something else...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Exactly...the clutch is still in and the sound appears as I shift from 1st to 2nd gear (or the other upshifts). HOWEVER, if I don't accelerate hard between shifts and let the engine speed come down, the "ka-chunk" sound is much less noticeable.

Sounds like the synchros? Would double-clutching on the upshifts help? How do you do that again?
Old 05-27-2003, 07:34 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a few thoughts about this, but I am far from an expert.

Check the engine and transmission mounts, cv joints/bolts, and shift linkage first. The shift linkage has a nylon bushing at the base of the shifter that gets brittle and breaks. Is the noise directly related to movement of the shift lever only? Is the lever loose and sloppy or firm. Check the slip joint on the shift shaft near the transaxle. The bolt could be loose and causing a clunk. Because it is during all shifts, I suspect the cv bolts/mounts/linkage.

If all that appears good, then the transmission is the next suspect. There are plenty of good used ones around if you would settle for a non-LSD unit. I have a spare as well as several others.

The turbo clutch does not have a rubber center section, so that is not the problem. A lack of full clutch disengagement is something to think about, but normally you get a grinding noise if is not fully disengaging.

While you are poking around, check for free rotation of the wheels while in neutral. The unit does have fluid, right?!
Old 05-28-2003, 06:55 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a deteriorating motor mount, but not sure how much that messes up the tranny.

- Julie

Quick Reply: "Ka-chunk" sound when shifting gears