Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition coil question and I need S owners to look for something....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Ignition coil question and I need S owners to look for something....

First of all, I was out farting around the engine, looking for loose screws, etc and I pulled the rubber protective boot off the ignition coil (just because) and the lil' black plastic "cap" that goes on the nib that spins was shattered. I managed to crazy glue about 75% of it back together and put it back on. What exactly does this part do and what would cause it to shatter like that? Must not be too important because my car starts fine.

Secondly, I found this very loose part on my S. It's on the top of the intake manifold, towards the back. There are two big hoses that meet and then go into this hole on the top of the intake manifold. It's just back and left of the brake fluid reservoir. There is a clamp around the rubber hose. I tightened this clamp all the way, and this thing is still loose. So loose that I pulled up on it and it popped out of the intake manifold. It slid back in, but under inspection, it appears that this is all it does, I don't know how to make it tight. Can any S owners take a look at their car and pull up on this hose and see if it's as loose on your car as it is on mine????? What is the function of this hose and could having it so loose be the cause of any problems?

Thanks,

944S Boyeee
Old 05-26-2003, 01:32 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hard plastic lip on the coil is an insulator for the spark and to make the coiwire fit snugly.

I don't see 2 big hoses that meet in that area. Can you post a pic.? Where do they run to/from?

I think that means that your car is about to completley explode, be very careful and ship it down here.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Paul - the hoses are not that big...about the size of a penny in circumference. It is the Y-shaped hose that runs right of where you put the oil in. It has what looks like a sensor wire going to the hole in the intake manifold along with this hose. If you count the "humps" on the top of the intake manifold, it's just past the last "hump". The cable for the throttle cam runs right past it.

Speaking of the throttle wire - how tight is your's? Mine is kinda slack, should it be really tight?

944S Boyeee
Old 05-26-2003, 02:34 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only hose that large that I can find runs from the oil filler to the intake tube between the throttle body and the air flow meter but just befoe the throttle body. It doesn't have a Y or a wire though.

The throttle cable should have a little bit of play but not be tight, you should be able to lift it maybe 1/4-1/8 in. before the TB clicks.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

When I pull on my throttle cable, it moves quite freely side to side....more than an inch. Perhaps it's a wee bit loose.

If you look at the top of the intake manifold, there are the four big "humps". The last hump before the firewall has a hole on the right side of it - not on the actual hump, but on the flat part beside it (looking at the engine from the drivers side of the car) - this is where this hose/sensor wire go in. Your car must have this hole, no???

944S Boyeee
Old 05-26-2003, 11:41 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

It is part of the crankcase venting system. Mine was loose as well. I used a little epoxy for aluminum and put it on the fitting then slipped back in the hole and let it dry.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:05 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a vac. line a little smaller than a dime just below the flat part by the dipstick.

I can pull my throttle cable to the side about 1/2in. before I can hear the throttle body click.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Mine seems a little loose - I only have to pull it a wee bit to get it to come off the throttle cam.

944S Boyeee
Old 05-31-2003, 03:46 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

The cable is easy enough to adjust.

Quick Reply: Ignition coil question and I need S owners to look for something....