Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   330hp NA street engine (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/601298-330hp-na-street-engine.html)

hevquip 11-13-2010 01:22 AM

have you bragged to the 911 guys yet?

mattipuh 11-13-2010 05:00 AM

sorry stupid comment, but what does this "stock crank offset ground" mean?
ok. little googling gave solution.
http://fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/09/stroker/

-Bore is 4.155", stroke is 3.564.
Both bore and stroke seem to be little higher than stock.
Didn't you have any concerns increasing stroke + running high revs? I guess 3.1ltrs is doable with only increasing bore.

I've had silly idea, that if I'd build high rev N/A, it would be bored, but then decrease the stroke. Is there any sense it that thought? keep 3.0ltrs or maybe even less, but just built the motor to take higher revs.

beautiful car and motor, all in all.

Duke 11-13-2010 01:47 PM

Very cool, good work!
I would like to see a full dyno curve including lower rpms.

FRporscheman 11-14-2010 03:49 AM

Interesting engine. Please post up the results with the fuel injection, and what kind of fueling system you use (motronic, standalone?). Also, what was the cost of this build, and how much more will the FI and tuning cost?

Olli Snellman 11-15-2010 05:22 AM

Nice build up :)
Runners looks like a custom made up, but what ITB's are you using ? I am starting shortly building a 968 race engine and we are looking for a suitable ITB setup for that car.

mattipuh 11-15-2010 06:52 AM

also intrested in cam used, or just generic cam suggestion what kind of cam specs would be good if building such motor. My plan is not to make race engine, but just to improve stock performance.

How big work is to make both cams adjustable?

What valves did you use? probably not stock?

Legoland951 11-15-2010 05:51 PM

What I really want to know is how much that motor cost to build including the cost of the motor itself...

mattipuh 11-16-2010 05:32 AM

don't want to steal this thread, but what are the best options to select cams for 968?
custom grind oem-ones, or is there good aftermarket options available?
custom billet cams is also an option, if one knows specs, but is quite pricey, I assume.

FRporscheman 11-16-2010 07:06 AM

If anyone wants this kind of setup for a vr6, my brother has one for sale for $1200. It's got a custom intake, 3 big dellorto carbs, and the car was burning rubber in 4th! Don't mean to threadjack. When I told my brother about this thread he started telling me about his setup and I got jealous... too bad I can't weld aluminum, or I might be tempted to adapt his kit to my car!

ZR8ED 11-16-2010 08:31 AM

This is some basic info for those asking about how much. I have had several race prepped engines built for me at approx 100+hp/litre. (not porsche) Not all of this may be applicable to our engines, but this will give you a basic idea of what goes into an engine like this. Careful consideration of what is the final purpose of the car that the engine is to be used for. Running 12:1 compression is fine on the track, but not practical on the street..unless you live near a municipal airport refueling station. Matching the correct parts, and considering all ways to improve the VE of the engine (volumetric efficiency) In other words, reducing parasitic losses, and make the engine as efficient as possible to pull in air, mix it with fuel and pump out the exhaust.
Supply a complete stock engine.
Then supply aftermarket pistons/rods, cams, etc. (more important for higher rpms) more complex if you want to increase the bore/stroke/compression
New gaskets, bearings, seals etc
Machine work on lower end
Polish/shotpeen all rotating assembly
Tuned equal length headers
polished/port matched intake (in addition to a custom intake for maximum matched airflow)
full port/polish, combustion chamber modifications, relieving valve area, CC match the chambers etc
new cylinder head refurbish, seals, valve seats (ie 3 angle valve)
Reduce rotating mass
improve/modify oil and water passages, (port match these as well)
Standalone efi control, (electromotive, SDS, Megasquirt, AEM etc etc)
Depending on the the final goal, with you doing very little work other than parts research and aquisition, $10-$20K installed would get you there.
You can't "bolt on" your way to an engine like this. Unless it is bolting on a turbo..
Not for the faint of heart eh?

mattipuh 11-16-2010 10:43 AM

high rpm involves more hp and more cost. Without touching internals, how much could be gotten with
1. custom cams + headwork + custom software
2. ITB setup

this could be "level 1" solution. count at least $1k per item there, not too cheap either.

ZR8ED 11-16-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mattipuh (Post 8060894)
high rpm involves more hp and more cost. Without touching internals, how much could be gotten with
1. custom cams + headwork + custom software
2. ITB setup

this could be "level 1" solution. count at least $1k per item there, not too cheap either.

Level 1 BPU (basic performance upgrades)... For a NA engine.
Intake system: cold air intake, high flow filter, larger throttle body, mandrel bent intake piping to reduce kinks/bends and smooth the airflow.
Exhaust. Headers (portmatched tuned headers) mandrel bent larger diameter exhaust with performance oriented cat and muffler.
ECU chip if available
Full tuneup to ensure all support systems are working correctly.

Modest gains with modest $ invested.

Now that I think of this, this info should probably go into a new thread.

mattipuh 11-16-2010 01:17 PM

maybe here, contains already good stuff...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...a-motor-6.html

HJK 11-23-2010 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't want to steal this tread neither, but think I'm gonna have one built, put it in my baby and run with the cup cars next season.

Will let you know how it goes.

Henk

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=47443

jtsporsche 11-24-2010 08:51 PM

Henk, i was keeping up with your build a while ago, but i lost track around the time you painted it. turned out great!