Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight wiring harness ripped. help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010 | 12:39 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Default headlight wiring harness ripped. help

my left headlight stopped working and I checked the fuses and headlight and still wouldn't work so I looked around at the wiring and looks like previous owner has screwed around with the headlight harness and it had 3 wires connected with wire connectors and they have broken off.

now the problem is where it has ripped is right where it is about to curve and go behind the nose panel... and the weires go in the hard metal tubing so I can't pull out more wire.

right now like 3-4 mm of wire are sticking out so this is not enough to make a new connection.

also is it okay to solder the wires together? I know headlights draw a lot of amps. I have a few mm of wire lefts sticking out and I'm scared they are going ot break off and then i'm screwed looks like you'd have to remove the nose panel to get to the wiring harness.

anyone know what I can do?
Old 11-10-2010 | 01:32 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Pictures would be nice but I think I know what you're talking about. I did remove my nose panel to inspect my wiring harness when I was fixing broken wires. Mine were only bad where the harness gets fatigued right at the housing from bending up and down so much but I wanted to check the full length of the harness anyway so I removed the nose panel.

I don't see why you could not solder the wires together. That is what I would recommend, I have never had a problem doing that but I'm not an expert so maybe someone else will chime in. Also the fact that the wire connectors broke off from the last repair kind of makes the case for soldering.

And I think if your car is an early car your nose panel is spot welded in some places rather than screwed like the later models just in case you didn't already know this.
Old 11-10-2010 | 09:05 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Solder, Heatshrink, Call it done.

No worries!

Much preffered method is to solder rather than crimp "butt splice" on small gauge wire.

Quick Reply: headlight wiring harness ripped. help