Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint your car on ebay... Guards Red

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 12:26 PM
The Al Show
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right. And the cheap masking tape that comes with the paint should be removed asap or the glue will stay on your car and it's a bitch to clean up without hurting your fresh paint.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 114 Posts
What about flex additive for the plastic parts? Most cheap paint jobs I see do not take the flexible parts into account.

Also on the cheaper paint jobs I've seen, it looks like the paint chips off easily, like the candy coating on an M&M. You get one nick or ding and a lot of paint pops off, and then that spot starts to peel. I don't know if this is the paint type or prep or what but it makes the paint job look bad pretty fast if you get a lot of stone chips.

-Joel.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:02 PM
The Al Show
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot about the flexible parts. The flex additive is for lacquer not enamel. You'll need a pint of lacquer in the same color as the enamel. You can check with the NAPA store. They might have a product that works with enamel. I haven't done any flex parts for a while and they might have something new. Or they might be able to match your paint in lacquer.
If you did a good job of wetsanding the nose you shouldn't have to worry about rock chips or peeling paint. they're a sign of poor prep work.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:14 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I started with a gallon of bondo and 3 tubes of filler.... I used it all but I figure about .... oh.... 7/8 of it is on the floor in dust. Learning how to do body work is not fun but I am glad I know how now. I sure am glad I am in no hurry to get this thing on the road (runs great but I will not drive it around primered up like it is. Bad for resale because every kid in on the block loves my 86 and they keep asking when the other one will be done.)

Yesterday I couldnt even say body work and now I is one.

Quick Reply: Paint your car on ebay... Guards Red