Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a bra on an old paintjob?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 01:54 PM
gordyboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Putting a bra on an old paintjob?

I have many rock chips on my 88 na but a new paint job simply isn't in the budget. I figure that a bra would cover them up and improve the appearance of the car. Other than the rock chips the rest of the paint job looks pretty good.

People with nice new cars suggest using a bra to protect against chips on roadtrips, but not to leave it on all the time. If it rains and then gets sunny the humidity will harm the paint and/or clearcoat. I live in the Pacific northwest where we'll be getting lots of rain and some sun :-) over the next 6 months.

In my case, what do you think about putting a bra on and leaving it on? It's not so much to protect against new damage, but really to cover up what's already there.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:04 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Some touch-up paint, Toothpick and 2-3 hrs will make the stone chips invisble from 20 or more feet. Still visible up close though.

Just an option.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:28 PM
gordyboy
Advanced

I did a couple of chips using the Langka method. I had found a link to this in an earlier discussion on this board. It worked really well but I have trouble matching the color of my paint (14 year old Guards Red, or India Red (?)). The paint is a bit faded in addition to the chips so the touchup paint I bought is a bit of a darker red. If you find touchup paint that matches then I'd have to say the Langka method would really work well!

<a href="http://www.billsworkshop.com/P928S4/langka.htm" target="_blank">Review of Langka method</a>

I figured a decent looking bra ~might~ be a better answer.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:29 PM
Doug944s2
Instructor

Seems to me that if the paint is already faded or chipped, it wouldn't hurt to leave the bra on all the time. The major downside of a bra is that it can trap moisture and dirt against the paint, and then swirl that dirt against the paint with the inevitable shifting of the fabric. If the paint's bad already, why not?

My friend has a Guards Red '86 Turbo whose front bumper has faded to a very frilly shade of pink (the rest of the paint is pretty decent, though), so keeping the bra on the car all the time helps the appearance.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:37 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Having just bought an 84 944 NA that had a Bra on full time I would recomend highly against it.

One of the advantages of the 944 is that it has a galvanized body making it almost impervous to rust, of which there is very very little on the rest of the car. Nothing that a body shop couldn't take care of for minimal money once I have the dosh for a paint job.

However on the front drivers side fender where the PO had a bra on, the moisture got trapped. It's not just rusted but rotted through with only the paint holding it together. It's a patch about the size of two quarters.

Not only that but it makes the car look like hell IMHO.

Even with the chips a 944 still looks better than 95% of cars out there. Specially those air cooled VW wannabes
Old 10-04-2002, 11:08 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I'll jump in here. My car needs paint...BAD.
The headlight covers are faded, look awful, the spoiler has its war wounds...I just bought a used colgan bra on ebay for 15 bucks, and it is in great shape. Definitely dresses up the car.
Will post a pic if interested...

Quick Reply: Putting a bra on an old paintjob?