Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 harness bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 05:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by apyatak:
<strong>...3. speak for yourself Z I'm peddling as fast as I can....Al P.
1987 924S</strong><hr></blockquote>
Al! Didn't know you're on this board! Guys, don't let this guy fool you with his 924S: at last week's DE at Lime Rock, he OWNED several high HP cars, including an air cooled 911 Turbo, and a pair of 996TT's! It was fun to watch you drive!
See ya tomorrow at Pocono! Sure hope it doesn't rain ALL DAY! How's the 944 project?

-Zoltan.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:18 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: the JGRIFF installation. On my 944, the center bracing was bolt-in, yours looks welded in, also the roll bar looks like it installs closer to the front seats than mine did. It also had a diagonal brace. Those look like factory sport seats. There is a problem with the factory seats as the headrest wants to spread the shoulder straps off your shoulders. I got a sternum strap that connects the straps (at the sternum, duh!) to cure that. I have now on order some aftermarket seats (Corbeau) with proper slots to correctly solve the problem. Too bad Porsche couldn't have specified seats to accomodate harnesses, considering the use the cars get. Probably lawyers to blame.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
While not ideal, harnesses can be used with stock seats (sans holes).

- If you have a long (~75") shoulder belt, it should be the "H" type. This is for C-pillar or rear seat belt type mountings.

- For B-pillar or rollbar mounting, you would use a short (~48") shoulder belt.

- In addition to each of these, you could add a sternum strap. This will join the two straps together at the chest. There are mixed feeling on the use of a sternum strap, but it is an alternative to the worry of "jiggling" free from around_the_side shoulder harnesses.

Whenever I think about safety, I like to imagine myself barrel-rolling or somersaulting down an embankment with trees at the bottom... maybe throw in a pond-landing or engine-fire to make sure you can egress quickly too. Cars never end up on the roof in a very gentle manner... there's sure to a lot of rockin-n-rollin before you "come to a complete and final stop". I can also understand why so many folks think we may be over-thinking the threat... hell, it took me actually getting shocked before I stopped playing with the outlets... and I was 30 when that happened

Good Luck (and be safe)!
Old 04-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Tom:
<strong> I got a sternum strap that connects the straps...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry, Tom... seems I was typing when you sent this... didn't mean to steal 'yur thunder

[quote]<strong>Too bad Porsche couldn't have specified seats to accomodate harnesses, considering the use the cars get. Probably lawyers to blame.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They do in some of the latest "sport" and "racing" models. The 968 CS had these available... as does the current Turbo, GT2, and GT3. I guess you could extract from this that Porsche has a lot of faith in their roll-over protection.

Skip

Quick Reply: 951 harness bar