Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secound Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 03:44 PM
cweatherington
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Secound Opinion

The cooling fan in the car is not coming on at its normal time. (half on the temp gauge) Now it is only coming on with the 2nd (AC) fan when the temp is at the 3rd mark. I think from what all I have read that this is a thermoswitch. However most of the post show it failing and keep running not shut off. I didn't see any post where it wasn't coming on.

Am I right in thinking its the thermoswitch ?

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-10-2002, 05:27 PM
rplencne
Instructor

Could be a couple of things. First make sure that coolant is flowing thru the radiator. If the thermostat is stuck closed or if you're really low on coolant, the radiator/fan switch won't get hot enough to turn on the fan. You could also put a jumper wire across the switch to see if the fan comes on, just to rule out that portion of the system.

-Bob P.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:27 PM
cweatherington
Intermediate

Thought about water, and coolant. Everything is at the right levels and I don't have any leaks (knock on wood). Thermostat could be the problem but I would think it would overheat all togather and pretty quickly. As it is it runs up to 3rd mark pretty quick but the double fans coming on save it from overheating.

Just to add a twist of all things this started on the way home from the mechanic.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:25 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Use an ohmmeter on the thermo switch. Disconnect the fan from the switch, clip the ohmmeter leads to the switch (it should read "open". Start engine, let it run to operating temp. Does the switch close? If not BINGO...You have a solution. You might consider a switch that closes at a lower temp..Both Porsche and VW seem to like taking their engines to the hairy edge of overheating. (I have a Passat VR6 also and the problems with the cooling systems are similar, but the Passat switches/wiring is MUCH higher quality...sorry guys...its true...)

Cheers!

Bob S.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:00 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I remember my problem, it almost overheated two times before the fans just switched on and stayed on. This means it wasn't turning on at first, then it just shorted out.

I just pulled my thermostat out of the car and tested it in a pan of hot water on the stove. It failed.

Quick Reply: Secound Opinion