Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Header Recommendations

I've been satisfied up until now with my Bursch headers on my 944, but they recently cracked and I would like to replace it rather than repair the crack.

With that said, I'm looking for recommendations on a new set of headers.

Does anyone have any experience with the headers from Martin Schneider Design Systems or simply MSDS in Glendale CA?

And is there any real value in ceramic coating the headers or is it a waste of money.

Looking forward to your responses.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM
smokin_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Severian, I can't answer for Martin Schneider headers but I have been running ceramic coated MSDS headers for several years with very good results. The upper RPM range seems stronger and the engine will pull to redline effortlessly but dang is the car loud! I run MSDS headers into glasspack (no cat) and above 3500 the engine growls. At 5k+... BRUTAL!! Although my friends think the car sounds awesome, frankly the loudness of it pisses me off. Honestly it will depend on what you're after. I am contemplating getting a serious muffler to tone it down because if you ride a few hours at highway speeds, you get ear fatigue. Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
James Chimney
Pro

I just got a set of used Bursch headers so where did yours crack? and the guy claims they are "ceramic Coated" so I will be installing them this winter
Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fordahl Motorsports headers from Greg F in Seattle. Single piece 4-1 design with a 'Buick ball' connector. Veddy nice... had mine black coated for heat too.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

The Bursch header cracked right where the four pipes meet and they were also ceramic coated!

The Bursch headers have a reputation for cracking and it's the reason that I ceramic coated them to help prevent cracking, go figure.

Anyway, that's why I'm looking for a replacement and also why I question the value of ceramic coating.

Hopefully other members will chime in with their views...

Quick Reply: Header Recommendations