Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Keying all my locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:16 PM
MacinTek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re-Keying all my locks

Okay... I need to rekey all the locks in my car. Would it suffice to just rearrange the pins and have a key made to match?

I need to do this for the doors, hatch, gas cap, glove box and starter/steering.

removing the tumblers from the doors, hatch and glove box appear simple enough... the steering column and gas cap appear to be a bit more difficult. Anyone done these?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Gas cap is the easiest of them all just pull the red part off and then put the key in and turn and it's slides right out. I notice that a lot of the caps have a piece down there that breaks often so check that too or the cap won't lock.

Cheers

Mike
Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MacinTek
Okay... I need to rekey all the locks in my car. Would it suffice to just rearrange the pins and have a key made to match?

I need to do this for the doors, hatch, gas cap, glove box and starter/steering.
I believe the wafers can be rearranged for the doors, hatch, gas cap and glove box. A qualified locksmith should be able to cut you the new key with a code cutter/machine. I am not sure about the ignition switch being rekeyed though.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Miles, The whole Ignition Assembly is held onto the Steering shaft by two halves that were bolted together with two torque bolts that the heads are sheared off from the bottom. Use a cut off wheel in a Dremel Tool to cut a slot across the top (end) of the bolts and turn them out with a stubby screw driver. I got the inspection mirror out and looked at the back side of the electrical switch module. There is a plug with all the wires that has to be pulled off the module, got that pulled (careful you don't pull out the wires). While the gage cluster was out I replaced all the light bulbs. The gage cluster trim has two hidden screws, one above and one below the trip reset button at the vent edge. I hope this helps if you have to use it. The link below gives the module wire lay out for the plug. The second link will show what the Ignition Assembly looks like. The third link shows where you have to drill in order to remove the Ignition Lock Cylinder.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...87-944-na.html

http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20345

http://www.the944.com/key.htm

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 10-27-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Re-Keying all my locks