Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Conversion Plug n Play

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Conversion Plug n Play

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

Is that a really good setup or not?

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...ghts-x6024.htm

What about that one? Looks to be drop in plug n play. Really expensive, but I think would make a huge improvement.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
krystar
Drifting

u get what u pay for...but that does't mean expensive items are good either. any company that claims "Street Legal" HID's are lying. HID conversions are never legal.

proper HID conversions can only be done by retrofits. anything doesn't include OEM D2S projectors mounted inside the headlight housing won't be oem quality. it'll light up the road yea, but it'll blind other drivers.

and those expensive ones. they stick out too much. i doubt they'll never clear the flipup mechanism on the 944.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM
steven storch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed one like the first. Despite the lister advertising that it was a plug and play install/replacement it wasn't.

1. The tabs on the original 6024 bulb are larger than on the import bulb housing and don't line up properly. Made a few rubber spacers to take care of that problem. Otherwise the new bulb rotated off the horizon and jiggles in the stock housing.

2. The xenon bulb is only a single beam (so no hi/lo beam function). It's just on or off.

Bi-xenon setups are available for 20 or so bucks more....if only I knew. But they usually require some wire cutting and splicing along with a relay.

Since it's not a dual beam, it's not stock and thus, not street legal, but I'll cross that bridge at the next inspection...should only take 15 minutes or so to put the original lights back in if I have to.

Would I do it again? Yes. The visibility difference at night is remarkable. Don't really need the hi/lo function since these, when properly adjusted, light up the road extremely well.

Although they are aimed properly (not too high), because they are so bright (mine are 10k), other drivers can't help but stare at them and tend to think you have your brights on and will flash you.

Installation was very easy, plug and play and no need for heavier duty wiring since they draw less power than the stock bulbs.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steven storch
Although they are aimed properly (not too high), because they are so bright (mine are 10k), other drivers can't help but stare at them and tend to think you have your brights on and will flash you.
No.
The problem is that cheap HID setups "spray" light all over the place and blind other drivers. A good setup (like the one in the OP's second link) has a focused projector that puts the light down on the road, and not in oncoming traffics eyes. That is the correct (and polite) way to do a conversion.

I think it should either be done right (second link, or similar) or not at all. The cheap conversions are rude and downright dangerous for other drivers.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
No.
The problem is that cheap HID setups "spray" light all over the place and blind other drivers. A good setup (like the one in the OP's second link) has a focused projector that puts the light down on the road, and not in oncoming traffics eyes. That is the correct (and polite) way to do a conversion.

I think it should either be done right (second link, or similar) or not at all. The cheap conversions are rude and downright dangerous for other drivers.
u can never tell frmo the cheapo brands what kind of projector it is. there's alot of knockoff projectors that don't focus light properly. the only ones i use are projectors out of oem headlights. it's not only the glass element, it's also the reflector bowl.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What lenses are you using, standard DOT or e-code?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM
krystar
Drifting

btw, brightness is not measured by color temperature. if your HID system is actually 10000K, it means it's a VERY POOR light. the kelvin system measures the color of the light, NOT the brightness. 10000K is a blue light. it is LESS BRIGHT than a 4300/5000K white w/ hint of yellow. alot of cheapo manufactures prey on people that think the bigger number is the better. 4300/5000K is the BRIGHTEST AND WHITEST color. blue light has more glare effect than white light. that's why people are highbeaming you.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ddm tuning is good for the price
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
steven storch
Advanced

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
What lenses are you using, standard DOT or e-code?
e code

The color is white/blue white. They are a dramatic improvement over the stock 6024 bulbs and I'd never go back.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Gages 944
Instructor

On my car I got plug and play 6000K and they work great. you DONT need to upgrade wiring because HID's actually use less power to run. Your stock halogens are worse than HID's. Also They arnt illegal becasue the car Companys use them. If you get the right housing for them they dont blind you because they have a little window inside of the housing to direct the light.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon410021
ddm tuning is good for the price
I agree and have had no product with there products on several cars. I have H4 replacement 7" for my 924S and installed there 55w slim ballast kit + H4 Hi/Low and they work great! and at 5k color temp they are very white. Also, with proper adjustment I have never been flashed for driving with highs on (not once in almost 3 months)
Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Gages 944
Instructor

Same hear mine came with the high beams but those suck.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Prospeed_Motorsport
Banned

I did a HID plug and play on my 951. I found an eBay seller that advertised a H4 replacement with the difference being his kits were a hi/low beam solution. The price was $150.

I replaced the stock sealed beams with the Hella H4 kit but didn't install the bulbs. I installed the HID H4s instead. All installed easily enough. The headlights work great and everyone around here that has seen them wants them for their (older sealed beam) cars. Everything was included in the kit. It was truly a plug and play with the exception of having to mount the ballasts, which was no real big deal.

Yes, I understand these are not as good as the factory designed HIDs but I wasn't going to throw several hundred or thousand $$ into headlights. And I didn't want to send a bunch of time trying to enginner something. I wanted a simple solution. Previously I did the Shark style wiring on a 968 with 130 watt blubs and these are far better than those .... and much less hassle to install.

FWIW, the hi/low beam thing.... when you go to the hi beam the bulb changes position in the housing. the patern/throw is typical H4 and the cut-off is very similar to the H4 kit.

I don't have the link to the auction but the seller's screen name is "legal_lights" A quick check shows he has over 2400 listings so you should have too much trouble finding him. I when with this vendor as he was the only one I saw that published his phone number in the ad and when I called he actaully answered the phone! He was very helpful in explaining several things to me and I highly recommend him.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:13 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

This thread actually put me on an HID kick and i built my own HID's. They use real factory HID projectors (with hi/low) and have cutoffs so that they won't blind other drivers. The total amount i've spent is about $200 (a little more with shipping). My setup is easily reproducible.

I'll post a DIY on it in a few days. I've completed one and i'm about 90% on the other....all that's left is the install and wiring.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
This thread actually put me on an HID kick and i built my own HID's. They use real factory HID projectors (with hi/low) and have cutoffs so that they won't blind other drivers. The total amount i've spent is about $200 (a little more with shipping). My setup is easily reproducible.

I'll post a DIY on it in a few days. I've completed one and i'm about 90% on the other....all that's left is the install and wiring.
This sounds great. Recently my headlights are okay, but I'm sure once winter sets in I will want something better.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion Plug n Play