Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Website Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 04:17 PM
btimes4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: Website Issue

I need some website help. My has opened her own business and I have created a website for her in Frontpage and leased her own site name. My question is I just have the website name. I have server space on my Verizon account to upload to a server, but I need to know how to get the Frontpage web that I load up to route to her address when someone types in the address. Need specifics since I am new to all of this, but now have a pretty good understanding of Frontpage. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:25 PM
icat
Race Car

I'm not 100% positive of the trouble you're having from your description. However, the domain name is just that - a name. You will need to have space on a server to "host" the web site (which it sounds like you do). You then need to contact your domain name registar and have the domain name "pointed" to the new server. You will need information from the web host provider (your server) to accomplish this step. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:32 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I have two "names" through Register.com and they have a "free" service that will re-direct from the website name to your home pages.

They do put a banner at the bottom.

Perhaps your register service can do this.

Otherwise it's as Icat says; you have to find a host and point the name.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:48 PM
icat
Race Car

...might add. I have three registered domain names, two for 951motorsports (both .com and .us), and a third name for my company. All three are registered through Network Solutions. The "sites" are hosted by EV1.net as virtual sites for $10 a month. Once I had registered the names I simply called EV1 and had them perform the address redirect. They do this for $10 as well. It's really not that hard to do the redirect yourself, it's just easier if you have ALL the info the registar is looking for - so I let EV1 do it for me.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:08 PM
btimes4
Intermediate

I think I see what you guys are saying. I have the domain name and I have space on my Verizon account to act as the host. If this is correct I think you guys are telling me is, all I need is for the registar of the domain name to point the domain name to my Verizon account address. If I am completely off track someone please let me know.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:19 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
BTIMES---

If you have a server account with web space and you can upload files to a generic spot like your office server at

<a href="http://www.fudgypuckertools.com/products/users/personal/btimes" target="_blank">http://www.fudgypuckertools.com/products/users/personal/btimes</a>

You can have the place you registered your domain name to point the domain name, say <a href="http://www.btimes.com" target="_blank">www.btimes.com</a> to that address above. So you can get there either way, by keying the long drawn out URL or just going to <a href="http://www.btimes.com" target="_blank">www.btimes.com</a> and then immediately that page will do a "redirect" to the ...personal/btimes address.

Your home page will be the "index.htm/html or default.htm/html page in your ...personal/btimes folder.

Or get web hosting company to host your site. Basically that means they handle giving you space and take care of the domain name in one shot. This is the most common way people do it. And when you switch web hosts, they take care of getting the domain name pointed from the old to new spot too.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Please don't take this as spam... Just trying to help out where I can...

I have a server which I host P-CarOnline.com on (among a few other client sites), and I would be happy to offer you some webspace for a small fee (very flexible). I have done this in the past and will continue to. My servers are very fast, and they are 100% frontpage capable.

Also, I'd be happy to help you set up your site.

Take care,
Matt Olde
P-CarOnline.com

Quick Reply: OT: Website Issue