Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huntley Supercharger Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003 | 02:36 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

This will be unpopular, BUT. If you buy it used. There are problems with the original seller backing it. in any form what so ever. But given the many lengthy posts on the war. Maybe helping on this very forum would go a LONG way in repairing past bad things.. Just my .00002 cents. (all that the government left me today).
Old 05-13-2003 | 06:47 PM
jp944
Pro

david fracolli, you have mail

jp
Old 05-13-2003 | 08:26 PM
Dave
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jp944:
<strong>Just a clarification, I didn't tell Derek that I was buying a secondhand system. I called before I purchased the system, knowing that it had no manual.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If I were considering purchasing the kit from him, I would want to get a copy of the manual first to see what the installation involved. Once I had read through the install I would know if it were something I would be able to install myself or if I would have to add the cost of having it installed to the cost of the kit. No support before the sale usually equals no support after the sale, that would cost him the sale in my case.
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:33 PM
Geo
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jp944:
<strong>On a related note, the guys at Anderson Motorworks have been super great helping me out with getting the right parts, tuning, and have provided same day shipping on everything I've ordered.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">And to think, Huntley could have gotten the attaboys. This was what I meant. In Derek's defense, he didn't know the real situation.

I'm kind of curious, once you bought it, did you contact Derek to give him the opportunity to help you out with your install?
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:33 PM
Geo
Race Director

Sorry. Computer stuttered.
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:36 PM
Geo
Race Director

Did it again.
Old 05-14-2003 | 12:04 AM
jp944
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Geo:
<strong>I'm kind of curious, once you bought it, did you contact Derek to give him the opportunity to help you out with your install?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I didn't bother to, based on his post of 1/5/03:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Originally posted by Huntley Racing:
<strong>
The SC that was on Neal's car was a one-off. It has no direct connection to the production kits we make. It had a different manifold, runners, supercharger, pulleys, rollers, electronics, harness, tuning etc... As mentioned it is being offered incomplete without intercooler or electronics. Unlike the production kits, there is no warrantee on these parts from Huntley Racing or any tech support offered due to their one-off nature, incomplete components, and difference in installed application. Good luck.

--------------------
Derrek H. Khajavi
Huntley Racing</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Although, I wouldn't think there would be that much difference between the two kits. After all, the dyno sheet posted online to sell the 8v kits at <a href="http://www.huntleyracing.com/superchargerkitpics/images/3/hr_sc_2v_3.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.huntleyracing.com/superchargerkitpics/images/3/hr_sc_2v_3.jpg</a> is the dyno sheet from Neal's red car running my exact hardware. If the HP and TQ numbers are identical on this setup (as compared to the 'production' kit being promoted on the website,) can the plumbing be that different between the my kit and the 'production' kit? I don't think so, but I'd still like to check the plumbing before I start it up. I don't need anything from Derek, just a snapshot or description of the proper plumbing arrangement from someone with the kit installed.
Old 05-14-2003 | 01:27 AM
Derrek Khajavi
Racer

OK, lets clear this up. The SC kit in question IS NOT A HUNTLEY RACING SC 'KIT'. It was a one off hand fabricated unit that we DO NOT HAVE A MANUAL FOR. This kit was made for a guy who didn't want to pay for a 'real' kit and wanted it done as low cost as possible. The manifold was welded up hand cut aluminum, the supercharger was a used unit off of a Ford, the pulleys were all rough aligned. The kit didn't even come with the injection controller we custom mapped for that car. There is no value in the manuals we have because there is next to nothing that is the same. The mounts, plenum, intake, supercharger, rollers, belt, tensioner, linkage, hardware, sealers, fuel rail bracket, etc. are totally different. How do I know this is the kit you have? Because I know the current status of all the kits sold, and they are all on the same cars they were built for right now. Why don't we sell the manuals anyway?? Because they are of absolutely no value to anyone without a kit. There is no 'secret info' or proprietary blueprints etc... The install is VERY EASY because the mechanical kit is pre assembled to drop on as a unit. The only thing to do is remove the stock intake manifold and drop on the kit. The manual is 90% wiring instructions and SC break-in procedures. Hope this clears things up.
Old 05-14-2003 | 02:31 AM
jp944
Pro

Thanks for the post Derek, and for clearing things up.

Anyway, as I said in my posts, I'm not looking for support from Derek, nor do I expect him to support it. I'm just looking for a few pictures of how the intake hoses are plumbed when a roots blower is installed. Mine are plumbed, but I want to double check the connections before starting it up. Maybe someone could just describe it to me.

Stock config:
Two hoses under manifold
two into 'J' boot
one crankcase breather

New manifold/throttle body/intercooler pipe:
Two hose connections immediately behind throttle body
One connection on intake side of intercooler pipe
One connection between throttlebody and filter
Crankcase breather plugged

I've assumed the two hoses under the manifold are connected immediately following the throttlebody. The two 'J' boot hoses are what i'm unsure of. One will have neg pressure always, and one will have positive pressure. Anyone know which should be plugged where?
Old 05-14-2003 | 07:35 PM
jp944
Pro

bump
Old 05-14-2003 | 10:28 PM
thomschoon
Instructor

"This kit was made for a guy who didn't want to pay for a 'real' kit and wanted it done as low cost as possible."

So does this mean that you will build a unit based on customers budget versus sound engineering and once you take the money you wash your hands of it? Just asking!!
Old 05-14-2003 | 11:10 PM
Derrek Khajavi
Racer

NO, IT MEANS THAT YOU CAN'T TAKE A SQUARE PLUG AND FIT IT IN A ROUND HOLE! This kit was made for a race car with next to nothing stock on it, which is not an application we support with our mail-order SC kits. It was something we are never going to do for anyone outside our fabrication shop here at Huntley. If a customer comes to us with a car to supercharge which we have never done before we give them several options for the kit: Build a CNC program and mill out the parts, hand fabricate a one-off kit, make a mold and build it in exotic materials etc.... This was the 'as cheap as possible' option, which for a one off means cut-weld-grind-weld-cut etc... What support can I give for this?? Where to run the hoses on your street car with a kit made for a car with next to no vacuum lines? I don't even have notes on that project anymore. No dimensions, no vacuum scematic, no wire harness info, no pulley sizes, no belt lengths, no tensioner numbers, nothing. I don't know how I can help you here. If you have specific questions you are welcome to call but as to whether that kit will do the job or not I can tell you that you will be modifying the kit significantly to work for your application.

Here is what the kit looked like when it was done here at Huntley:

<a href="http://www.archcartpro.com/users/dkhajavi/images/p1010039.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.archcartpro.com/users/dkhajavi/images/p1010039.jpg</a>

Here is what a mail-order kit looks like:

<a href="http://www.archcartpro.com/users/dkhajavi/images/p8140010.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.archcartpro.com/users/dkhajavi/images/p8140010.jpg</a>

Here is a kit that is being built for a 928 S4 that will be a production kit and the customer will be getting a discount for the use of his car for the project. This one is part CNC and part hand fabricated:

<a href="http://www.archcartpro.com/users/dkhajavi/images/p1030016.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.archcartpro.com/users/dkhajavi/images/p1030016.jpg</a>
Old 05-15-2003 | 12:31 AM
jp944
Pro

Thanks for the picture, Derek. The only questions I had were WRT hose routing. If you have any other pics of that particular installed kit, it would help me out if I could see them. But, I think I have it figured out now, based on the one pic you attached to your last post and the standard NA and Turbo vac diagrams.

Thanks all for the help.

jp
Old 05-15-2003 | 05:14 AM
JohnA944
Instructor

BTW Derrek I am interested in the kit for an 88 N/A, but i dont see any pics for the 8v motor..also if I decide to purchase this kit I will be performing a complete rebuild on the motor. This being said would it be in my best interests to lower the compression or leave it the way it is?
Old 05-15-2003 | 11:04 PM
Derrek Khajavi
Racer

We do have 8V kits. As with all the SC kits they are designed as a full plug-and-play on a stock car. We will sell partial kits minus injection to those who want to go outside the intended kit parameters. I DONT recommend our kits with lower compression than stock since they were NOT designed for high boost but rather lower boost (8 PSI or less). As such if run at say 951 compression you will make little or no power over stock! The key here is a mix of compression and efficient boost and manifold design. If your motor is in good running condition now I would NOT rebuild it. The SC kit is very reliable and puts only marginally higher load levels on the motor than stock.

Quick Reply: Huntley Supercharger Owners