Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Longevity Program :The War Room:

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Korsair970
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Longevity Program :The War Room:

Alright this is going to be a long (mildly scatterbrained) post. Those of you with a lack of time or a surplus of ADD, my plan is to create the be all, end all of 944 information sites. A database of every detail of the 944, with in depth information on every part, detailed walk through of procedures with video and/or 3d animations. In addition to information, we'll also use it to re-produce parts and re-design them. But I can't do it on my own, so if you're interested, read more, and contribute!

Also, when I say 944 I mean 944/951, as well as additional information for the 924,924s, and 968.

Long Version---

I'd like to start something I'll temporarily call the 944 longevity program. The 944 is a great car, with many reasons it will stick around, and it's got it's share of issues. Let's keep the car around, and let's improve it to make sure it's a presence in the future.

Section 1.
Information. The more almost always the better. We're lucky to have resources like Clarks Garage and others, but if we could cull all of the information we know about the 944 into one location. Let's catalog every part and organize it into a easy to use database. Changing your belts? Great, we'll have all the relative information for the job, known pros and cons for using brand X belt, video and/or a 3D animation so you know everything going on. Instead of shooting posts out into the dark about anyone running X or using Y, they can update the database with their findings.

Section 2.
The 944 model. I've hinted I was making a 3D model of a 944, but ultimately I'd like to have a 1:1 model of a 944. With it I can cut away parts, and animate a procedure, explode an engine and show every part, etc. I'm in the process of getting a friend to work on a program so it can be rendered in real time. Spin the car around, change the bumper to a 951/S2, change the wheels, change the color, play around with your dream 944. But then click a button and take away the body panels, click another and you just see the drive train. One more click and it animates the engine being disassembled. The concept starts with a rough model of components to animated a flash video of an assembly or dis assembly process, and goes as far as we're willing to take it.

Section 3.
I've seen a couple of threads now about making parts. Re-designing the hatch, or making a clear timing belt cover. Re-producing or designing improved parts keeps the 944 relevant, functional, and running better. I can sculpt parts to be molded and cast in resins or epoxy or plastics, or fabricated in Carbon Fiber. Others can do some damn good metal working, and others still can do much more. If you put a few of us together, we can design and produce a lot of parts. For the community, by the community.

What it isn't - A forum, we have Rennlist already!

A lot of you do 944 spec, others would like to update your interior a bit, and others still are just trying to keep your car running a little bit longer. Every one of us could benefit a lot if the community had a way to really focus it's skills and talent, so who's willing to give it a shot?

First things first, we'll need some people that can help me out. I have a myriad of skills I can bring to the table, but I can't do everything. In the next few days I'll have a simple iteration of the database site on my server. We'll start with a mostly stock wiki and modify it as needs be.

Crafting wise, I'm a semi-talented artist, I can draw, sculpt and model/animate in 3D. I have some experience with production type molding and casting/composite fabrication, and have a huge interest in working more in that area.

Other than that I'm a broke college student. Recently been getting beat up by life, and trying to pull some projects I am most interested in together.
At this point I don't even have my own 944, I've just been feeding the addiction by toying with other people's

So here's what I ask of you, the community. Have a useful skill? Post it, I'll start making a list of major candidates to get this project off the ground. Got a parts car or an engine that's almost completely pulled apart? Great, got a camera as well? Perfect. Take pictures of each part, a lot of them. They can be used in the database as well as providing reference for making a 3D model. Anything you can do or any suggestions on what should be done, post it.Help me help you

What would really help? I'm making a gambit really soon to get my own 944. Think you can help me out? If you know of one for sale, or want to check out a car with me/for me, let me know. I live in the DFW area of north Texas. Think you could help me do the belts or trouble shoot whatever problem the car I get is certain to have? awesome. I'll bring some Warsteiner, and we'll take plenty of pictures to start filling up the database. Eventually depending on how it goes, I'll ask for extra parts or other things required to complete a project. The idea is once it gets going, it won't just be me working on it, it will be tons of people, giving a lot of objective advice and information.

One project for the design aspect of this project has already come up. Clear timing belt covers peaked several people's interests. But they're a bit expensive to be any real consideration. Well, exact math aside, I'm estimating that for around $400 I can make a mold and cast about 20-25 in clear plastic. Sell them for around $50 plus shipping and make this a viable part to improve our cars. Or at least let us be a tad bit lazier when it comes to checking our belts. But if you guys want to see them any time soon, I'll need help. Someone who has an extra cover laying around. Someone near me that wants to try their hand and help me with the molding casting process. Someone to handle a group buy or something so we can get them into your hands.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. I'll be working on getting a site up soon. And if anyone local can help me find a car to buy, look at cars with me, possibly tow, anything, let me know. Also, if you or someone you know wants to buy a beat up old honda that kinda runs, is looking to hire for a cool job that doesn't require the use of a car to work (ask me why I have no job now... it's related to the sale of the honda) or maybe looking to pick up a K98k Mauser for a decent price that will go towards a 944.

So, questions, comments?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:43 PM
ZW 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda like a version of 350z-tech.com for the nissan 350z only for 944s? that would be super cool. or maybe like a wikipedia version.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:36 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Interesting.......thread subscribed to.

michael
Old 10-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Cool idea. Of course I have some videos on youtube, and I also have my 914 engine site: www.ephotomotion.com/914engine

While I won't commit to much, I'm always happy to help when I can.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Korsair970
Advanced

Van that's a great walk through rebuilding a 914's four!

Hmm snap.. looks like that 350z tech has a similar idea.. well it may not be the first, but I think the 944 could use it.

when I get some time tomorrow after school I'll go about setting up the site.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:19 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

did this happen? it's a very good idea for our Porsches...a community effort.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

can someone who read that provide cliffs?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

he wants to create an organized information reference for 944/951s that everybody can edit, like a wiki. it would have all the information and videos, 3D, improvements, DIYs, etc imaginable.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I read it to be a combination of Bill Underwoods efforts (http://944-world.com/) , and Clarks Garage (http://www.clarks-garage.com/) ... with a sprinkling of new information on parts and such...

Largest issue to overcome, will be the mis or dis information already out there... depending on teh source you will get different build numbers, paint info, option code lists, and specific model and sub model information... some of it from teh web and some of it from print (books)..

A POC in Porsche A.G. would probably be helpfull, but unlikely as I believe the current management would rather forget the 924-44-68 ever exsisted.. but that is enough of my mindless rambling...
Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I also agree it's a great idea.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 AM
je951
Track Day

seems like a very good idea. I know i have the factory book from porsche explaining how to fix pretty much everything on the 944/951. And a few years of experience keeping them on the road
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interested...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Korsair970
Advanced

Good to see some more interest! I just finished up an all consuming sculpture project, so I'll be getting the server up in the next day or so.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do you go to school??

Quick Reply: 944 Longevity Program :The War Room: