Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shudder when on boost, only in 2nd gear (update again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect cv joints, even though you claim it is gear dependent. Is there any vibration? Is there any vibration in 4th gear, WOT, and 5,000 rpms?

My cv joints initially vibrated at high speeds, but as time wore on, the vibration became more noticeable at lower speeds. Also, they didn't seem to vibrate much when they were cold.

Replacing the cv's fixed the problem.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:39 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A trusted mech gave me the diagnosis of clutch...this was after an extended test drive.

Basically, clutch is grabbing and then slipping very quickly and causing the shudder.

The clutch does chatter a bit starting out in first, but it depends how you let the clutch out...I thought it was normal...

If its not the problem, he wont charge labor...

What's book time for a 951 clutch with the 2 piece crossover? He quoted me 10-12 hours labor.

Clutch has 40k miles on it, half of those by me. I dont abuse the clutch, but who knows what the PO did....

I'm gonna let him do this probably in the next few weeks, I'll let you guys know the outcome.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:44 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
My car has 190k and the clutch appears to be original (no records when I bought the car almost 11k ago)... I also have the shudder, but I don't really launch my car. There's sometimes a shudder when taking off in 1st.

My shudder is there in 2nd gear and up (I honestly can't remember 1st, and the car's apart right now), I remember it's even noticable going 150+ if on boost, frequency seems more engine rpm related than anything. Mine also has not gotten worse. It also only does it when at higher boost levels (nothing off boost, or up to 5-7 psi, worst around torque peak in 2nd gear). For some reason I feel that it is most likely a wheel bearing or cv joint, though I realize that wouldn't explain why the frequency of the vibrations doesn't change with speed...

I have redline "shock proof" racing fluid w/an open diff on an 86.
Ahmet

Quick Reply: Shudder when on boost, only in 2nd gear (update again)