Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st REAL autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pigeon
Good, another local guy! I joined the Niagara Region PCA the day I bought the car. PCA even called me and told me based on my address I should be in Finger Lakes Region and I said, no, I want to join Niagara Region because it's so much more active.

I'm new to Porsches and track days but I've been running autocross with the BMWCCA and SCCA for years. I really, really wanted to run the HPDE at WGI this week but I need to fix the brakes on my car and get the bent front wheels fixed/replaced before it's track ready. I actually intended to bring the car to the track day inspection session the club had at Ekstens a few weeks ago but I wasn't able to get a bad wheel bearing put back together in time. Had I known I could sit in as a guest and get an instructor ride I would have been there on Monday. Count on seeing me at the first DE next year though!
Yeah, we need to do a better job of getting word out about being able to attend our DE's as a guest. Some people come down as a guest and just hang out for the whole 2 days. We make it fun even for non-drivers.

If you're not getting our broadcast emails twice a month let me know. We also have a Facebook page where lots of info gets posted.

(Sorry Roman for the thread hijack!)
Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM
pigeon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Yeah, we need to do a better job of getting word out about being able to attend our DE's as a guest. Some people come down as a guest and just hang out for the whole 2 days. We make it fun even for non-drivers.

If you're not getting our broadcast emails twice a month let me know. We also have a Facebook page where lots of info gets posted.

(Sorry Roman for the thread hijack!)
I do get the emails and need to hit up the Facebook page, thanks. To continue the hijack (but hopefully to get another PCA member involved) are there any more driving events scheduled this year? I don't see anything on the calendar and missed out on the Chili Run to Lechworth because the car was (a) still apart in my garage and (b) is ugly as sin and needs major cosmetic help before I really want to bring it out - nobody likes a rusty Porsche! It was cheap though... A Fall breakfast run, or even a cars and coffee get together would be nice, since I think the Log Cabin's Wed. night cruise in is over for the season.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Jim - awesome

You know I've wanted to register with you guys for a while, but now that I can actually drive ... lol! Are you guys going to offer any kind of driving school in spring like SCCA does?

Marcus headed to Watkins Glenn and skipped his 6th run at the Autocross on Sunday (he has a blue-ish 198x 911 and a Boxster convertible) - he's been trying to get me to sign up as well!

Starting Spring I'd love to get out more and do more stuff, I just need to see how my car is going to hold up over all and if it will be up for 5-6 hour drives ... so long as the events are on the Weekends it should be all good though!

Scott - I missed your e-mail, PM me?

I really can't wait to do a DE, but I gotta figure out if my seats will pass PCA's tech first or if I'd have to get seat back braces

also, FLR SCCA (Finger Lakes Region SCCA) - tend to have tighter tracks @ RIT (which is a huge open parking lot) - with "twists" to it

I have to say again though, a LIGHT manual rack car is just so awesome ... I don't even care about power steering anymore!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imagine in NY state, the track season ends early.. iirc, watkins glen shuts down by November 1... too cold and chances of snow/frost don't make for fun track days. Also means your season doesn't get started till late April(?) at best I imagine.

The farther south you live, or are willing to travel, the "sooner" the season begins and the later it ends
Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pigeon
I do get the emails and need to hit up the Facebook page, thanks. To continue the hijack (but hopefully to get another PCA member involved) are there any more driving events scheduled this year? I don't see anything on the calendar and missed out on the Chili Run to Lechworth because the car was (a) still apart in my garage and (b) is ugly as sin and needs major cosmetic help before I really want to bring it out - nobody likes a rusty Porsche! It was cheap though... A Fall breakfast run, or even a cars and coffee get together would be nice, since I think the Log Cabin's Wed. night cruise in is over for the season.
Not many events left this season, mostly monthly meetings which are more social events than 'meetings', and a fall dinner which is fun (100 people attended last year). Keep an eye on our Event Calendar for updates, I look forward to meeting you.
Originally Posted by roman944
Jim - awesome

You know I've wanted to register with you guys for a while, but now that I can actually drive ... lol! Are you guys going to offer any kind of driving school in spring like SCCA does?

Marcus headed to Watkins Glenn and skipped his 6th run at the Autocross on Sunday (he has a blue-ish 198x 911 and a Boxster convertible) - he's been trying to get me to sign up as well!

Starting Spring I'd love to get out more and do more stuff, I just need to see how my car is going to hold up over all and if it will be up for 5-6 hour drives ... so long as the events are on the Weekends it should be all good though!

Scott - I missed your e-mail, PM me?

I really can't wait to do a DE, but I gotta figure out if my seats will pass PCA's tech first or if I'd have to get seat back braces

also, FLR SCCA (Finger Lakes Region SCCA) - tend to have tighter tracks @ RIT (which is a huge open parking lot) - with "twists" to it

I have to say again though, a LIGHT manual rack car is just so awesome ... I don't even care about power steering anymore!
Beginning of May we'll have another Tech Inspection. Feel free to bring the car by and we'll check out those seats for you.

Yup, Marcus was there with his Boxster. He attends many of our events.

Hey, what's the matter with WNY weather? This looks like perfect track weather to me!
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 1st REAL autocross?