Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing intake and cam tower

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 01:30 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Polishing intake and cam tower

I currently have my cam tower and intake off in teh process of replacing my headgasket, and I wanted to polish the two. Can anyone give me some insight how to do so? Turbotim? I have been using hendheld sandpaper to rub them down, and its workout out pretty good thus far, but not getting the results I want before I start to use a polisher. Do I need a sander? Any insight/tips would help, thanks
Old 11-09-2002, 02:25 AM
afx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have my engine apart and have been cleaning some stuff up. I have not done too much yet on the cam housing. I used a wire brush, and a wire wheel on a drill for my intake manifold. I used a dremel also, and that works pretty well also. I tried using sandpaper, but that took too long. I would start with a wire brush, then use the sandpaper to clean it up.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:29 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Unless something happens that forces me to rip stuff apart I don't se myself doing any of this in the near future. However, if and when I do it, I want to ceramic coat the valve cover and paint the "PORSCHE" letters red. The intake and exhaust manifolds will probably get coated as well.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:49 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Simple three-step procedure. Tape off the mating surfaces to protect them. Get a buffing wheel for your rotary sander, or a drill-attachment:

1. start with rubbing compound and lots of water and go over the entire surface really well. You many need to continue with a rag and do by hand to reach the crevices between the lettering.

2. rinse off all traces of rubbing compound and use a new polishing pad with polishing compound.

3. rinse off and dry the part really well. Then finish with a chemical polishing compound like Blue Magic or Mothers. To help to pick the right compound, this stuff usually has 'ammonia' in the ingredients
Old 11-09-2002, 04:20 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Does anyone have some pictures of a polished intake manifold or cam tower that they did themselves? If so post the pics and what procedure you used.

I am also interested in this, I have a spare intake manifold that has been sitting in my garage for a while now.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:12 AM
TurboTim
Banned

To remove heavy castings.... you can use sandpaper.Strat with 80 grit and use 180 after that.

To remove light castings and heavy scratches you should use a 320 grit greaseless abrasive(red Lee compound) on a tight sewn buff.

To take out the light scratches from this process you can use black emery compound on a tight sewn buff.

To start the polishing process..... use tripoli on a tight or loose sewn buff.

To finish it off you can use white compound on a loose sewn buff.

To clean all the fingerprints, smudges, grease, etc..... off sprinkle some cornstarch on your parts and wipe off with some soft rags.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:38 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

I want my engine to look like this.....

Tim,

How much would you guys charge to polish a N/A intake manifold?
Old 11-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Douglas_T
Racer

Yes, not only would I like my engine to LOOK like that...But perform as well! Ha ha
Old 11-09-2002, 12:35 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Or you could go red to match your calipers...

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/redcamcover2.JPG" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/redcamcover2.JPG</a>

and the matching intake...

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/red951intake2.JPG" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/red951intake2.JPG</a>

The pics seemed kinda big so I didn't put them in the post...
Old 11-09-2002, 02:57 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Wouldnt mind anodizing.... but I prefer polishing.

Thanks for the responses everyone
Old 11-10-2002, 01:11 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Michael,

It will be about $350.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:51 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

I went ahead last night and tried polishing a small area of my intake. It worked pretty well. I was getting tired so I used the wire wheel and polishing compound before I had it completely smooth. I just used 100 and 150 grit paper on it. I am going to slowely work on it and get as much of the rough casting out that I can. With a little more work and using the different grades of sand paper and emery cloth I should be able to get it really smooth..It is going to take some time though.... I kind of like how it looked before I used the compound on it, just the smooth Aluminium.

Quick Reply: Polishing intake and cam tower