Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Reckless Driving Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 AM
safulop
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess things are different in sparsely populated areas. I was driving through Jackpot, NV on my usual summer trip from Fresno to Calgary and back, and stopped for a break. This is a tiny town on the state line with Idaho, in the middle of nowhere. A county sheriff's deputy pulled up next to me in the parking lot and started making conversation about my 944, how fast will it go etc. I was a little apprehensive about talking top speeds with a cop on duty, but he put me at ease by saying he basically didn't give a crap about how fast I might go "out on these roads." He started telling fish stories about his friends in town and their muscle cars and how fast they are. I suppose he won't be working on busy interstates in VA anytime soon.

-Sean
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had this same experience repeated several times in my life, and it's fundamentally remained the same since the first time it happened in second grade. Our entire class turned in short stories, and mine was about birds, but I'd misspelled bird as 'brid' several times throughout the essay. It actually still looks right to me when I see it spelled that way on paper. Brid. So my teacher was in a foul mood (likely hungover), and she went off at great length about how poor the stories were, but the mood was lightened when she went on her tirade about how someone couldn't even spell 'bird' correctly. I laughed along with the rest of the class thinking it was someone else, then found out I was the butt of the joke when papers were handed back.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:14 PM
AndrewFlusche
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While this is an old post, I figure others may stumble on it in the future, so I wanted to provide some answers.

First off, these cases differ greatly across Virginia. Even two counties next door to each other could handle a 95 / 65 reckless driving charge very differently.

With that said, it's fairly universal that 95 mph is a SERIOUS charge. In some courts, you'd be facing almost certain jail time. In other courts, you're safe from jail but would still be fighting over your privilege to drive.

For this reason, I recommend contacting a local traffic lawyer who regularly handles these cases in the court in question. You certainly don't have to hire a lawyer, but at least you'll know better what you're facing.

If you're interested, here is a relatively comprehensive list of defenses I put together: http://www.fightvirginiarecklessdriving.com/defenses/
Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM
drive135mph
Instructor

just my 2 cents,

I live in Virginia, and my brother faced the same charge in my 944, the judge DISMISSED the case when my father went to court with him.(he was 20!) I agree with the school of thought expressed here saying that your best hope is your respectful, apologetic demeanor in court.

The judge needs to see that this was a one time thing, a lapse of judgment and not an offence likely to be repeated.

This will keep you from jail time (though technically it is mandatory over 90mph but is also expensive for the state) but may not save you from fine. I've gotten a few tickets in the 944 (non-moving) and have found that one downside of our badge is that the judge sometimes sees 87 Porsche 944 and reads 2015 Porsche GT3.

Good luck
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd get a lawyer - Mine got my driving-on-a-suspended license dismissed by having me do documented community service and take classes (and I have a horrible driving record). If you want the name PM me
Old 12-08-2014, 11:02 PM
phlfly
Advanced

I had bunch tickets here in VA since moved here in 2002. My first ticket was reckless driving on first day as moved, since this i had few other tickets. I tell you one thing, good lawyer helps, but most helps its driving school on-line , i had to take few times believe me, judge is happy and most time no points just fine. So take as advice when you are speeding in VA. Cops here are sharks, it's money maker for state. Well it should be illegal for them, but you can't fight the system, so anything above 80 mph is reckless driving. This is so stupid, since some place in VA you can drive 75 mph, so if you are 5 mph over it's reckless where most state the cops would not be even stop you. Wow. I hope there is way to fight that thru Congress or Senate ????

http://www.idrivesafely.com/Virginia/
Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kombatrok
Just talk to the judge... if you were cooperative with the officer and can explain yourself well you stand a pretty good chance of getting it reduced to just a speeding vio.

You may have better luck with a lawyer... its sort of random in VA really depends on the judge

I drive 64 all the time, you have to be careful the cops have a bunch of speed traps
No- do not talk to the judge...talk to a lawyer whose job it is to talk to a judge. Nothing irks a judge more than somebody trying to play lawyer.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:24 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread started 4 years ago..
As a 21-year Virginia transplant, I'm amazed almost daily at the number of police I see here.
Town, County, State Troopers are seen every 10-15 minutes of daily driving.
On one hand its nice to have them so evident, but as a Porsche driver I ALWAYS stay within 4mph of limits.

Touch wood that this strategy has kept me under the radar.. and with detectors illegal here that's important.

Quick Reply: Virginia Reckless Driving Ticket