Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Reckless Driving Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would call the prosecutor and see what you can do by talking to them. I'll bet if you plead guilty to a large speeding ticket they will be happy to have the money and close the case. Whether you get a lawyer or not, if you get out of this for any less than $500 consider yourself lucky. Just hope you can keep the reckless off your record.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:50 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
I would call the prosecutor and see what you can do by talking to them. I'll bet if you plead guilty to a large speeding ticket they will be happy to have the money and close the case. Whether you get a lawyer or not, if you get out of this for any less than $500 consider yourself lucky. Just hope you can keep the reckless off your record.

Clearly you misunderstood my post... I already went to court... I was just posting the results...
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbell
Well here it is:

I the NY Driver cited for 95/65 on I-64 in Alleghany County, VA pleaded GUILTY to the charges...

I spoke with a lawyer weeks before my court date, and was told there is nothing he could do about the Misdemeanor... He may be able to get a slightly lower fine, reduced suspension time, and he could appear on my behalf. But it was a flat fee of $750...

No Thanks, I will represent myself!

- I received a Misdemeanor for Reckless Driving
- $350 + $81 = $431 fine
- Operator License Suspension Time: 30 Days (I can't drive in VA for 30 days)
- No Jailtime

Honestly, I am happy with this outcome, because in my research I saw similar cases receive Jailtime, $1000+ Fines, and 6+ month suspensions...

Being a NY Driver helped (points, and suspensions do not transfer): If I was actually a VA resident, I would have received a Longer Suspension (lose of license), Higher Fine, and the VA DMV would have charged me surcharge fee of $1,050...!

Similar cases that day:

*A female WV resident with a 87/65 received a $350 + $116 = $466 fine, and a 30 day suspension

*A male MO resident with a 95/65 received a $750 + $116 = $866 fine, and a 60 day suspension (Guilty by Absentia)

My research showed: Cases over 100mph saw huge fines, lose of license, and jailtime frequently... <---- Jail

If interested please visit:

Virginia Court Case Information -This website shows all VA Court cases, Defendant Name, Officer Name, Lawyer Name, Charge, Verdict, Fine, Jailtime, Suspension, ect....
( http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...anding=landing )

Speeding in VA is frowned upon... Save it for the Track!

The above information is a record of my experience; I am not a criminal, I do not break laws, and my plea of guilty was entered only to avoid wasting the time of our court system, as well as my own...

Feel free to respond with Comments, or Questions!

Cheers!

-P
Damn! I was 1 dollar off! post #5. told ya, same exact thing happened to me. stupid to drive at that speed but when the road is empty clear and dry sometimes its tempting to speed in order to save some time.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM
rgs944
Drifting

I wonder how the insurance companies keep track of it for rate increases. If they go off of points in your home state you might get lucky and they will not find out about it.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by rgs944
I wonder how the insurance companies keep track of it for rate increases. If they go off of points in your home state you might get lucky and they will not find out about it.
I have no idea but I think it just depends on the company. I have received almost enough speeding tickets to loose my license and my insurance price has never increased. Embarrassed to admit having that many but its true I have never heard anything from my insurance company so I assume some do not check very often.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine is a 17 year old VA resident who got caught going a little under 110 in a 55 in his BMW

How do you think that'll go for him
Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by CameronKame
A friend of mine is a 17 year old VA resident who got caught going a little under 110 in a 55 in his BMW

Uhhhh.... I would guess his license is going to be taken away for probably a long time.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:35 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
I have no idea but I think it just depends on the company...

i want to know the name of your insurance carrier just in case i ever get a big ticket !!

pm please.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by odurandina
i want to know the name of your insurance carrier just in case i ever get a big ticket !!

pm please.
Haha ok pm sent
Old 12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Reminds me of a funny story when I was a teenager and had to go to Traffic Court. One of the first cases heard was a kid wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Judge sized him up a bit and wasn't pleased. He then asked the officer to describe the charges. 89 mph in a 55! And happened to be on a busy highway during a busy time of the day. The judge then looked at the kid and said "Son......have you ever fired a gun into a crowd of people?" The kid didn't have much to say, so the judge found him guilty and fined him $500 (which was a fair amount of $$ 20+ years ago...). The kid sorta snickered/smiled and told the judge he didn't have $500. So the judge asked the kid what he thought his car was worth, and the kid told him around $800. The judge slammed his gavel and said "The court hereby orders that you have 10 days to sell your car and pay the court $500!" The look on the kid's face was priceless. After that the rest of us simply plead guilty and asked for the mercy of the court.......
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
rgs944
Drifting

A 17 year old doing 110 in a 55? Even if I was the judge it probably would not go well for him. If it was on some backroad and he was alone I might only take his license for 6 months or a year. If he had other teens in the car and was in traffic, I would take it untill he is 21.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

Not Well...

Your friend is (for lack of a better term) is Screwed.... He will:
* Be selling his BMW
* Definitely lose his license for atleast a year
* Definitely be paying well over $2,000 (Fine, Lawyer, DMV Fees)
* Definitely get dropped from his insurance company, or his rates will be extremely high (but he wont have be able to drive anyway)
* and there is a very large possibility of jail time.... Not Joking...

The county he was pulled over in will greatly affect the extent of his punishment... A populated county; like in NOVA will be a lot more harsh...

This is certainly a time for a lawyer...

Check out the court cases in the county he was pulled over in: Search by Date, and look for similiar speeds... This will give you an idea, as wells as maybe a possible lawyer to use...

Virginia Court Case Information -This website shows all VA Court cases, Defendant Name, Officer Name, Lawyer Name, Charge, Verdict, Fine, Jailtime, Suspension, ect....
( http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...anding=landing )

*Public Transportation can be fun too...
Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbell
..........Virginia Court Case Information -This website shows all VA Court cases, Defendant Name, Officer Name, Lawyer Name, Charge, Verdict, Fine, Jailtime, Suspension, ect....
( http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...anding=landing )...
Thanks for link! Good info to know.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

I bought my car in north DC and drove it back to Austin through VA. I made sure I never went more than 5-7 over the whole way through...and didn't use my radar detector...heard horror stories.

The thing is - it's easy to get up to 80-90 in these cars and on those big open stretches...it's so tempting. I waited until i had a spot betwen knoxville and nashville...all downhill...metal divider in the middle...to open her up for the first time (simulated, of course).

I've gotten a couple tickets driving between Austin and Houston in my truck in the 80 range (in a 65 or 70mph zone)...no issues in TX...pay a couple hundred dollar fine and be done with it (or do defensive driving).
Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I can't speak for tickets in VA, but I've certainly found that, in NY, pleading not guilty to speeding tickets and then going to court and plea-bargaining to plead guilty to a lesser charge is the way to go.

Some tips...

Do:
-Dress nice - like it or not, you need to make a good first impression - on paper, you're just some schmuck speeding in a Porsche
-Be polite to the DA/cop you're plea-bargaining with - tell them that, if at all possible, you're looking to reduce the points (severity) of the violation
-Be polite to the judge
-Be prepared to pay on the spot

Don't:
-Try to make excuses (e.g. speedometer broken, throttle stuck, MPH sign not visible, late for class, etc.)
-Try to insinuate you don't deserve the ticket
-Fight with the DA or cop - they're "offering" you a "deal" - you either take it or don't

Remember:
-It's not about whether or not you actually broke a law, it's about dealing with a bureaucratic system
-It's about money - to most towns, this is a major source of revenue
-You don't get both a reduced sentence and a reduced fine - if you want to pay as little as possible, offer to go to jail - if you want 1 or 2 points instead of 4, pay up

Last edited by Van; 12-02-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Virginia Reckless Driving Ticket