Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Reckless Driving Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I know... I am an idiot... I just cruised up a huge hill, and then I continued to cruise down it... Saw the cop, looked at my speed, and said ah sh*t game over...

I am doing contract work in DC, and my address is still my mother's in NY... At this point I am not going to attempt to get a VA liscense. I might be moving soon, as my contract comes to an end.

One bit of Good News: The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions.

I will be getting a lawyer, as i have read a lot of not bad outcomes with a lawyer; and a lot of very bad outcomes without a lawyer.

I was hoping to find a rennlister who has been in this situation in VA, and might tell thier story. But i will certainly keep everyone updated. Worse comes to worse; i hope you guys visit me in jail...
Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnbell
Yea I know... I am an idiot... I just cruised up a huge hill, and then I continued to cruise down it... Saw the cop, looked at my speed, and said ah sh*t game over...

I am doing contract work in DC, and my address is still my mother's in NY... At this point I am not going to attempt to get a VA liscense. I might be moving soon, as my contract comes to an end.

One bit of Good News: The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions.

I will be getting a lawyer, as i have read a lot of not bad outcomes with a lawyer; and a lot of very bad outcomes without a lawyer.

I was hoping to find a rennlister who has been in this situation in VA, and might tell thier story. But i will certainly keep everyone updated. Worse comes to worse; i hope you guys visit me in jail...
I got 81 in a 65 on I 95 north of richmond dumped down to 79 in a 65, $75 pluss court costs, all on my own, with an out of state liscense.. I got my own copy of my driving record from my own homw state, and plead stupidity to the judge, he laughed, PO complemented me on my attitude durring the stop, and judge told me to slow down or he would be seeing me again...

It will be a hard sell to get 95 in a 65 reduced below 80, but worth a shot...

and yes I know the hill you got nabbed on, in the winter time your windows will fog over from the altitude change on the way up and back down... I was living in Richmond, am now living in Stafford...
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

I wiggled out of one of these back in the 60's by wearing my Navy dress blues uniform. The judge made me wait till last and then magically the officer took a break and left the room. My turn came, but no officer to press the case (so they told me) so I was free to go.

Oh and there were a few prayers too.... Bruce
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

While I was 16 years old, I got pulled over for the first time doing 80 in a 50, on the second day of my senior year of high school. I got a lawyer, took a drivers improvement course on my own will, and I got off with just speeding. 150$ including court fees.

Just two days ago, got my second ticket, 50 in a 35. I honestly thought the speed limit was 45... wish me luck lol and good luck to you.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 AM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy, a similar thing happened to me. The cop let me go after a while.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I will speak from experience.

I got a reckless in VA, on 81 by 64 going into West Virginia. 84 in a 65. I had an Ohio license, but I lived in Virginia.

I didnt pay the fine of course because I did not want to.

My license was suspended in Virginia for failure to pay. This information is NOT shared with any other states. Virginia can NOT suspend your right to drive in another state, trust me on this. I got pulled over a year later driving in Virginia, handed the cop my Ohio license. He came back and said "your license is suspended in Virginia, but it is good in Ohio." So he handed me my license back and told me I cant drive, someone will have to come get the car.

At this point I still did not pay the fine.

I got pulled over in Ohio multiple times and had no problems, my license was valid.

It took me about 2-3 years to pay that ticket, simply because I did not want to.

Now if I were in your shoes, and I knew I would be leaving the state soon, I'd just not pay it. I did this to Pennsylvania.

One last note, I hope to god you weren't pulled over in Rockbridge County. If you were, you're better off not going to court at all. They will not reduce the sentence.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
Ok I will speak from experience.

I got a reckless in VA, on 81 by 64 going into West Virginia. 84 in a 65. I had an Ohio license, but I lived in Virginia.

I didnt pay the fine of course because I did not want to.

Now if I were in your shoes, and I knew I would be leaving the state soon, I'd just not pay it. I did this to Pennsylvania.

You'd rather have a PO find there's a bench warrant out on you when you get pulled over for some bull**** equipment violation?!? Not me. If you're going to speed, be man enough to take the punishment.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 AM
J.Khan
Advanced

Research traffic lawyers in the county you received your ticket. Call a couple up and see what advice they can offer you. In pennsylvania, 'careless driving' is less serious than reckless driving and does not come with a license suspension. If this is the case in VA as well, see if your lawyer can work them down to a less serious violation.

I thought VA reports violations to NJ, PA, NY? When I received a speeding ticket in VA, they reported it to the PA DMV.

VA is tough...they really need to lift the RD ban
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Tovrin
Instructor

About 5 years ago, before I owned my 944, i got a speeding ticket 89 in a 65 (dropped by the cop from the 95 he clocked me at) i didnt get a reckless but it was a $250 fine and i had to do a online driving course to get the points back.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbell
Yea I know... I am an idiot... I just cruised up a huge hill, and then I continued to cruise down it... Saw the cop, looked at my speed, and said ah sh*t game over....
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but how could you not realize you were doing 95mph? Even without looking at the speedo you know you are greatly exceeding the speed limit just by the rate that scenery is flying by.

I might be getting old, but I get paranoid if I'm doing anything more than 10-15mph over the speed limit on the highway.

Anyway good luck with your ticket.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I got 3 tickets a couple years ago but nothing that far over. My cousin however, got clocked at 82 in a 65 on 95 North in his BMW 528e. Luckily his roommate's girlfriend's dad was a good lawyer and actually took the case for free. He got it dropped to 79 but he still had a nice fine to pay. Two years ago I got pulled for doin 73 in a 60 on 29 South in western/central VA in a little county called Nelson County. Went to the court date and got told off and insulted by the judge and was told to pay the ticket no questions asked. A lot of those country county cops and judges are jerks and won't even think about lowerin the ticket or lettin you go. Not sure where you got stopped but I can tell you right now it's gonna be a lot of fun dealin with the cop and judge. Definitely go the lawyer route, but honestly, expect the worst, 95 in a 65 is gonna be a tough one to dance your way out of. Good luck though my friend.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by F18Rep
I wiggled out of one of these back in the 60's by wearing my Navy dress blues uniform. The judge made me wait till last and then magically the officer took a break and left the room. My turn came, but no officer to press the case (so they told me) so I was free to go.

Oh and there were a few prayers too.... Bruce
I like happy endings.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From experience, this is your best advice here...

Originally Posted by KLR
I would definitely go with a lawyer on this one. A local guy who does 5 of these per week will generally get it knocked down a couple of notches. He should be able to tell you up front what to expect for an outcome. As a side benefit, hiring someone will also often get you out of appearing yourself.

BTW -- Forget about any kind of cockamamie defense. The question is how much you're going to pay and what comes back to your NY record. You should take a look at the NYS rules for out of state offenses. They were one of only a couple of states left that do not assess points for out of state tickets back in 2006 when I moved away from NYC.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

I just bought a Pcar in Maryland a few days ago- I went from driving exactly the speedlimit through MD/VA to 9+ over once I hit the NC border where I knew I was safe and sound (especially since I could use the hardwired radar/laser that was in the car once again)... I learned my lesson after I got my last ticket in VA 8 years ago in my old 951- those guys dont mess around...
Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Exclamation Court Case Results

Well here it is:

I the NY Driver cited for 95/65 on I-64 in Alleghany County, VA pleaded GUILTY to the charges...

I spoke with a lawyer weeks before my court date, and was told there is nothing he could do about the Misdemeanor... He may be able to get a slightly lower fine, reduced suspension time, and he could appear on my behalf. But it was a flat fee of $750...

No Thanks, I will represent myself!

- I received a Misdemeanor for Reckless Driving
- $350 + $81 = $431 fine
- Operator License Suspension Time: 30 Days (I can't drive in VA for 30 days)
- No Jailtime

Honestly, I am happy with this outcome, because in my research I saw similar cases receive Jailtime, $1000+ Fines, and 6+ month suspensions...

Being a NY Driver helped (points, and suspensions do not transfer): If I was actually a VA resident, I would have received a Longer Suspension (lose of license), Higher Fine, and the VA DMV would have charged me surcharge fee of $1,050...!

Similar cases that day:

*A female WV resident with a 87/65 received a $350 + $116 = $466 fine, and a 30 day suspension

*A male MO resident with a 95/65 received a $750 + $116 = $866 fine, and a 60 day suspension (Guilty by Absentia)

My research showed: Cases over 100mph saw huge fines, lose of license, and jailtime frequently... <---- Jail

If interested please visit:

Virginia Court Case Information -This website shows all VA Court cases, Defendant Name, Officer Name, Lawyer Name, Charge, Verdict, Fine, Jailtime, Suspension, ect....
( http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...anding=landing )

Speeding in VA is frowned upon... Save it for the Track!

The above information is a record of my experience; I am not a criminal, I do not break laws, and my plea of guilty was entered only to avoid wasting the time of our court system, as well as my own...

Feel free to respond with Comments, or Questions!

Cheers!

-P

Quick Reply: Virginia Reckless Driving Ticket