Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fuel Filter -Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010 | 11:11 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb New Fuel Filter -Wow!

I changed My Fuel Filter tonight in the Dark, and in the Rain! (Getting ready for a trip tomorrow) But it only took 10-15 minutes, and was Well Worth It! The Car runs SO MUCH BETTER! More Responsive, and More Power!!!

Here is Why: After installing the new filter, I checked the Manufacturing Date on the old filter 1/21/1997 -The Filter was 13 Years Old!! Most people drive cars that are not even that old... Change Your Fuel Filter!! ha ha

I typed up a Real Quick Procedure: (Please keep in mind -This was me laying outside in the Rain, at Night time, with a flash light in my mouth.. This is not a text book procedure! I did this as fast as possible; I used 2 Adjustable Wrenches!! But the Job was successful... ) With that said: Changing a fuel filter on this car is simple, and if you question your ability to do this; you might question Why you own an 80's Sport Car...

Procedure

Installing a new fuel filter on any engine is very important. A clogged fuel filter can cause all sort of Drivability issues, and Mechanical problems...

It is inexpensive, and simple to change. If you have not done it, and don't know when it was last done; Do it!!

I changed the fuel filter in about 10-15 minutes on my 1987 944na:

-Jack up the car on passenger's side; (I left the wheel on and had no problems)

-Looking above the Passenger's Side Axle (CV Shaft) you will see it *See pic below

-Spray the fittings with penetrating oil -this will help a lot, and reduce risk of breaking anything

-I did not de-pressurize my fuel system at all; my car had not run in about 24 hours... It is recommended you do de-pressurize the fuel system

-Use two wrenches, and loosen one side at a time -You want to loosen the fittings furthest from the filter itself... Look at the new filter for reference
(I did not have large enough wrenches available; but got away with using 2 Adjustable wrenches)

-I chose to loosen both sides just a little not even enough to let gas escape

-Then I removed the side near the gas tank, and drained the gas into a container

-Once all gas stopped I completely loosened the other side

-There is a Hose Clamp Bracket holding the filter -Loosen this, slide out the old filter, and slide in the new one. There is an Arrow on the filter; Make Sure this Arrow faces towards the transmission; away from the gas tank

-Tighten all the fittings

-Start the car (this will take a few seconds) and check the filter for leaks

-Lower the car, clean up tools/parts, and test drive.

-Extra Special Bonus FUN -Look at the Manufacturer Date on the old filter!! I discovered mine was 13 Years Old!!!! Wow!!

Good Job, your car will be happy!
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2010 | 11:20 PM
roman944
Drifting

know what, I've been meaning to AT LEAST look at mine, maybe this weekend!
Old 09-30-2010 | 11:26 PM
Preeze
Advanced

one of the first things I did when I bought my car last month was change the fuel filter.
I also noticed a huge difference in starting.
Old 10-01-2010 | 12:07 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

nice post dude! thanks for the tip.
Old 10-01-2010 | 07:05 AM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Since you are changing or looking at the fuel filter make sure you check the surrounding fuel lines for leaks.

I had a leak at the fuel line off the filter. I can not see those lines in your picture.

Here is what mine looked like. You can see the stains from where it was dripping. Second picture is with new line and filter.
Attached Images   
Old 10-01-2010 | 08:47 AM
Gages 944
Instructor

I have the fuel filter and have been meaning to change it since last winter but I need to get it up on a lift because mine isn't in the same spot as all of your mine is rite between the transaxle and body.
Old 10-01-2010 | 09:12 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

I need to check the date on mine
Old 10-01-2010 | 10:25 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

It is really easy. The write up I used suggested clamping the fuel inlet hose so you don't lose a lot of fuel. Definitely not a job to do while smoking! I can't say I noticed any improvement, but it is good to know that you have one less thing to worry about.
Old 10-01-2010 | 10:32 AM
stogie25
Instructor

When I bought my car it had sat for most of four years, and the entirety of the previous eight months. My initial tune up included the fuel filter. As I did so much at once I could not tell exactly what part did what, but the car was transformed.
Old 10-01-2010 | 10:47 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Good idea to replace the filter screen in the tank too. Mine had deteriorated and pieces of the screen were missing.
Old 10-01-2010 | 02:10 PM
James Chimney
Pro

where did you get the filter? part #?
great write up, I want to do mine ASAP going on a PCA fall tour in 2 weeks to PA and want this car 100% or as close as possible...lol

Quick Reply: New Fuel Filter -Wow!